Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Combine two computers to work as one!?

• Please log in to reply

DogVI

DogVI

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have two computers and i have been trying to figure out how to combine them with to work as one with multiprocessing software (which i can't find!). i am still trying to figure out how its's done but i'm just
not getting it. if you know anything about this..absolutly anything about this topic i would love if you could give me a few pointers. the two computers have different operating systems.
and different processors (one is a pentium D, the other a pentium 4) (one's running off vista, the other is XP). do i have to connect them with firewire cables and then get the software or what?? please help!!

Edited by DogVI, 24 September 2007 - 11:52 AM.
email

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to "cluster" computers resources...which is what you're wanting to do...you need a clusterable operating system....neither of the two you listed are clusterable

i believe windows 2000 advanced server is the lowest version of windows that can cluster...and varioius versions of server 2003 can cluster

also GENERALLY for true clustering you've got to have 3 machines

there are probably versions of linux that can accomodate clustering...but i don't know much about that

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to the Wiki:

he GNU/Linux world sports various cluster software; for application clustering, there is Beowulf, distcc, and MPICH. Linux Virtual Server, Linux-HA - director-based clusters that allow incoming requests for services to be distributed across multiple cluster nodes. MOSIX, openMosix, Kerrighed, OpenSSI are full-blown clusters integrated into the kernel that provide for automatic process migration among homogeneous nodes. OpenSSI, openMosix and Kerrighed are single-system image implementations.

Under Windows, its Microsoft Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 or nothing. XP certainly won't do it, neither will Vista. These Windows are not designed for it. According to Wiki, Win2k Advanced Server can do it as well. The technology and means have been around for years but its got absolutely no value or real use in a home environment.