Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Dual Core CPU and CPU Cooler

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi,

This is what my computer has right now:
- Biostar TFORCE 6100-939 mobo which supports dual channel ddr
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-G hard drive
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz / 512KB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Venice / Hyper-Transport / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor
- Corsair 620W PSU
- Ballistix 2x1G RAM is 184-pin DIMM,128MX64 DDR PC3200, Unbuffered
- Windows XP X64, SP2

I want to replace the cpu for a dual core and I'm leaning toward the "AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM"
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103053

I also want to get a "ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler"
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835185125

I have a few questions:

1. I believe that they're compatible with my mainboard and with one another but I want to make sure they are before I buy them. Would someone let me know?

2. How will I know if they'll fit in the area allotted to them on the mainboard?

3. I read a review of another hsf where it covered the first RAM slot. I need that first RAM slot because I use slots 1 and 3. Can I use slots 2 and 4 if it does cover the first RAM slot?

4. Will I have to adjust my RAM, chipset and psu for the new cpu and hsf (like when overclocking)?

5. Will they require more power than they can receive through my mainboard?

I'd apprciate any help you can give me.

Denise

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) They'll work.

2) Because they're standard size items.

3) Yes.

4) Most boards do this automatically.

5) The processor most likely, the heatsink no. You have a 620w, you should be fine.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Well that's that then . . . thanks Neil. I appreciate it. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
:) Good job, Neil - straight to the point! Well done!

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I thought so too! :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Since you're so good at this, Neil, I thought I'd throw a few more attcha. If you're busy, maybe someone else can help.

I saw this:

ZEROtherm BTF95 CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835887001

1. It doesn't say that it replaces the heat sink, just the fan. Will it replace both the seat sink and the fan, or do I have to buy a heat sink?

2. Again, just want to double check to make sure it's compatible with my other components . . . is it?

3. What do you think of its ability to get the job done?

4. No mention is made about the thermal paste. Will it be needed?

5. In your opinion, which would you recommend for me? The Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler or the ZEROtherm BTF95 CPU Cooler?

I won't hold you or anyone to your opinions but I'd like to know what someone with much more knowledge than I have thinks of these things.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
1) It replaces both.

2) It is compatable

3) Being copper it is a lot more conductive meaning it carries the head much better. Having more and smaller fins meaning the hot air is quickly blown away.

4) Thermal Paste is an absolute must. When you put it onto your CPU do not put too much on. Just cover it enough that your cpu has a think layer.

5) The Zerotherm will be better for sure. The arctic cooling is much cheaper, however. If you are not looking at overclocking either will be fine. If money doesn't come into the equation get the Zerotherm, otherwise you won't notice much difference.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I don't believe in pontificating especially online where its not needed. In your case you know what you want, you've found what you want, therefore in my eyes you know what you want, just wanted to double check.

Anyway your second batch:

1) It's a heatsink and fan.

2) It's universal so you can use it on Intel and AMD processors.

3) A cooler's a cooler. Long as it stops your processor from cooking itself it'll do the job. Copper also conducts heat better.

4) Thermal Paste is not a recommendation it is a must. You may find the heatsink comes with a square thermal pad on the underside already, if not with a tube of paste. Thin layer across the top of the processor is all you need, just a splodge and gently run it across the top of the processor. If your heatsink comes with a thermal pad already applied, just wipe any existing thermal paste off the processor, lock it in and hook the heatsink over it on the main board.

5) This comes down to personal preference. You may like to compare the cost, the looks or the noise levels. On the other hand, as long as it doesn't cook your processor you may not care as long as it keeps on spinning :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Thanks guys. Now that I know that they're all compatible, I can decide which one I want. I want to make sure the dual core CPU stays cool. Thanks for the tips about the thermal grease too.