Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop XP CPU Usage/Slowness problem

• Please log in to reply

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've had this laptop for quite some time now, it used to work pretty well and then one day it just screwed up. I've seen the same problem on another post that I found by googling, which is why I'm here.

My laptop runs fine after being turned on and loaded up, then after I start running some programs for a little while, it'll run slow/laggy/jittery etc. I've tried reformatting my computer, cleaning the registry, running virus scans, turning off Automatic Updates, checking for background processes with Process Explorer, and EndItAll. I may have missed something I've tried.

It's really annoying because I would like to use my laptop again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've also tried CCleaner.

Edited by Jayshwa, 25 September 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Issues that continue after a machine has been wiped point to hardware. You may have a hard drive that is on the way out or some other problem somewhere else.

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well if it was something to do with hardware, wouldn't it have gradually got worse? It's been the same ever since the day it happened.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Are you sure that your fans are working? The way you describe it it sounds like it gets laggy only after being on for a while and heating up. Might be worth it to take it to the shop and have it cleaned inside and checked for fan function. I always use a 'cooling pad' for my laptop at home.

PS: I cannot recommend any of the major chain stores for computer repair. Find a neighboorhood shop that depends on customer satifaction to maintain their reputation.

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I guess I could try that, but after restarting it does the exact same, wouldn't it still be hot?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
So a restart gives another period of OK behaviour?

Gotta find out more about what is going on. See what you can discover with Sysinternals free Process Explorer. http://www.microsoft...ssexplorer.mspx Under the 'View' menus choose 'Select Columns,' and make these part of your selection: CPU Time, Company, and Description.

Once selected, click the CPU Time column header to sort by that category. Now the processes will list from most active at the top to least at the bottom./ Maybe you've got something hogging system resources in the background?

I've not found anything more user-friendly for controlling start-up processes than free WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Right well, as it should be, System Idle Process is at the top. I'm just about to run a video to see what happens.

Edit: I may not have explained something correctly in my first post, it usually starts to go slow between 3-10 minutes of playing a game, watching a video, or listening to music. Maybe it's something to do with drivers/plugins?

Edited by Jayshwa, 28 September 2007 - 10:44 AM.

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Forgot to make another reply. It's just the same as before, whatever would normally use up most of the CPU, still uses up the most, but it's at 100% this time. Nothings "hogging the resources" in the background.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download Everest from my list of programs below. Run it on Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds for the data to show up. Leave the program open and run a scan of your antivirus. Look at Temperatures and report cpu, motherboard and hard disk temps.

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I only have two temperatures there.

CPU: 35˚C (95˚F)
IBM IC25N020ATCS04-0: 41˚C (106˚F)

I have no idea what the second one is. This is after the scan finished.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Temperatures look good.

I didn't understand post no. 8. Please open device manager while the computer is unstable, open processes, let things stabilize for a few seconds, don't touch the mouse or keyboard and report cpu usage of "Idle Processes". If there is another process(s) that are constantly, say, above 7-8% please report them. That's for the software part.

For hardware test, read the following:

How to create a Sandra XI report.

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Download Sandra XI using the link in my signature. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. Install and run the program.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the options uncheck everything which you do not need to test. Leave only hardware components (cpu, memory, Hd, video card, sound card etc.). Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer just testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report only items which did not pass the test successfully.

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Idle Processes is 1-11%. AVG is using most of the CPU which is around 70%, but if I opened firefox, then that would be using up all the CPU and not AVG. Whatever normally uses the most CPU up, will still do the same just with alot more being used. Task Manager is also using about 20%.

Everything finished successfully on the hardware.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
So, the problem is with the software. That's better. I think that what happens is that AVG, by default, performs automatic scan upon bootup. You can cancel the scan in one of the settings (as far as I remember that's in "scheduler"). Another possibility is that AVG is corrupted. I have seen that a number of times. It used to be my favorite but not anymore. Presently I use Avast! (free) which is much better and stable.

So, as a first step, either cancel automatic scan in AVG or replace it altogether. See if it makes any difference. If still no good, remove Firefox and reinstall it or try to use Internet Explorer.

Jayshwa

Jayshwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It doesn't matter what I use. If I deleted AVG and Firefox, it will do the same with IE. I've tried explaining this already :/

Edit: I know for a fact it's neither of them because I had this problem before I even installed anything after reformatting.

Edited by Jayshwa, 29 September 2007 - 12:35 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Could you write down the make and model of this computer?

2: You say that the problem existed immediately after reformatting, before you installed any applications. Did you check, at that time, the task manager. can you recall what was idle process level at that time.