Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SIMS 2 ON LAPTOP?

• Please log in to reply

SavvyClay

SavvyClay

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello all-
this has been a problem for me for a while now, and I wanted to get over it once and for all.

I've been playing the sims 2 for at least two years now, but I've been using my other computer-the memory's not fantastic so the game runs quite slowly. There also isn't an internet connection which makes downloads very impractical.

I really want to be able to play the game on my laptop, but it crashes to a BSOD when it starts or crashes generally bla bla etc.

I posted this problem a while back and the techies figured it was cause my display drivers are incapable of supporting the game or something. I spent aaaaages researching and downloading heaps of stuff and I think I just screwed it all up even more.

I own an IBM Thinkpad Type 2373-7WM and my OS is windows XP. My current display driver is ATI mobility radeon 7500.

I was hoping there would be a way of making the game work on my laptop...?
help would be much appreciated.
:wave:

***UPDATE***
I tried again, this time with no EP's, no CC and -w after the target line. The game worked fine. I then installed university, nightlife and bon voyage. It loaded fine, though in neighbourhood view the sound was kind of jumpy and the little graphics were sort of crunchy in one screen. Went into my house, everything was ok, until I tried to move the sofa. The whole thing froze and crashed my PC. Rebooted, started over-moving and buying other furniture was ok, went to move the sofa, and everything crashed again.

This is similar to what happened last time.
I really want to play on this comp with EPs though :)
help??

Edited by SavvyClay, 25 September 2007 - 02:01 AM.

Advertisements

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
dude i think you messed your laptop by downloading all those stuff. My advice...format your laptop and then reinstall the PROPER drivers with the PROPER installations and then sims should probably work fine

SavvyClay

SavvyClay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hmm yeah...

gah, is there any way of fixing it without wiping my whole hard drive?

Nayfunx1991

Nayfunx1991

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Uninstall the Game and The things You downloaded ?

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
true and if you have all your driver cds...then u can uninstall all the drivers u think you messed up and reinstall it...

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi SavvyClay,

The graphics card in the laptop isn't on the supported graphics cards list so it may have issues.

First thing to try is undating your graphics card driver, the drive can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Download the driver, uninstall the existing one, restart and then install the new one.

SavvyClay

SavvyClay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
thanks for the replies,

zeus...is it possible that you could give me the exact links and steps for things to download?

otherwise I'll probably just screw everything up again.

:S