Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8400M drivers

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Dunno if this is the right forum, but couldn't see one that was obviously better.
Got a new laptop with vista premium. Initially all worked well, but after we reinstalled it, the computer isn't registering the GPU drivers. In fact, I cannot find any mention of the graphics card, which is an 8400M, under device manager or anywhere else on the computer. If I try to install games or run any graphical applications it says there is no hardware acceleration. I downloaded the all-in-one 8 series driver from Nvidia, but when I tried to run it it said it could not detect any compatible hardware.
So, how do I get my laptop to detect and use my graphics card? It's an ACER 7520G if that helps
Thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
interesting. I don't see that laptop model listed on their website.

you can try finding out your system info here

It requests your laptop serial number. That way we can see what they show.

Not being familiar with acers, did it come with a vista install cd or a "restore" cd? Based on the info I found online, your system should just work with the normal nvidia forceware drivers.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Problem solved. When I first went to the Acer site I couldn't find my model either, after reading your post I decided to look again. Then I spotted an obscure link that lists drivers for models in europe. On the larger list there I found my model, and then a rather confusing list of drivers. There was one called NVIDIA something or other, although it made no mention of the 8400M. I downloaded it anyway, and curiously it was almost exactly the same size as the NVIDIA drivers. When I ran it it had a different startup window, then went to the exact same setup page as the NVIDIA driver, but worked this time. So I guess ACER just needed to add a little something so that the machine can find the [bleep] card :)
Thanks Starjax

EDIT: Really, it bleeps [bleep]? Wow, and I thought I was being good by not swearing :wave:

Edited by Junkman, 25 September 2007 - 02:56 PM.