Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which GeForce 8800 GTX?

• Please log in to reply

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm buying a 8800 GTX, and am planning on getting the NVidea OEM version because it's about £100 cheaper than the most expensive one http://www.aria.co.u...productId=27431

However I was just wandering if the cards which come from other manufacturers are at all more superior to this one and if se which ones and why? Because on the website listed above they all seem to have similar descriptions.

Thanks

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
With such a nice quality card the manufacture is not all that important. You usually just get the cheapest 8800GTX you can find and you are good.

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK cool I'll get the OEM one then. Is there any additional cables/adaptors etc you miss out on with it?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Not really. All that come with the 8800 is usually a DVI to D-sub converter which is kinda stupid because no one would buy a kickass card like that and use a crappy D-sub cable for it, a graphics driver CD that you can just download on the website if not included, and an S-Video cable.

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
alright, thanks guys, I'll order it now.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm going to have to disagree with Jack, here. Different manufacturer's make different cards, period. To be called a 8800GTX it just needs to follow basic design references from Nvidia. You need to research the different clock speeds, warranties, brand-name reputation etc...

Also, if it's an OEM version you'll most probably get the single card by itself, no cables, no drivers, no fancy box... That's why it's cheaper, it's for shops to build systems with, as they usually have heaps of cables and stuff in stock anyway.

If you've already ordered, though, then good luck and I hope you get a good one. I just thought I'd put this out there for you. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I also have to disagree with jack,
I cannot put enough emphases on warranties, check out Evga, they normally have the best service for the price your paying.
Look closly at OEM hardware, much of it comes with a very short warranty. And as troy has mentioned, the clock rates do change depending what manufacture it is.
James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
most people I know including me buys the Evga because of the warranty and the Step up program.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I agree with James warranty is what you should look for. And I love your username very original :).

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 28 September 2007 - 05:22 PM.