Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! My CD and DVD drives have disappeared!

• Please log in to reply

justred

justred

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi

I noticed that both my CD and DVD drives have just disappeared. I have been trying to figure out if I installed anything new. The only thing I have installed sicne last using the drives was a Bit torrent reader.

It is a Dell 9125 system

Can anyone help. I feel like an idiot but I don't want to fiddle with anything and cuase moredamage.

Thanks

Edited by justred, 28 September 2007 - 07:13 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there justred! Unfortunately, we can't really help you with this one until you help yourself - uninstall BitTorrent and follow the Malware Removal instructions here. It's very possible that the P2P program has allowed malware on your system and caused some damage - especially since you installed it and now the drives don't show up. According to the Terms of Use of this website:

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

If after posting for help in the Malware Forum, you receive the all clear, and you are still having this problem, then please return to this thread and we will pursue some further troubleshooting options.

Cheers :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hope you all don't mind me poking my nose in here.....

As you have asked for help with the drive problem and not with anything relating to P2P...other than to say you recently installed a file sharing application...I think we can offer you assistance with the issue. I DO wholeheartedly agree with FPVDriF6, that the Bit Torrent application probably caused the problem and should probably be removed. It has likely placed filters on the drive.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No problem, I am at your service :) The Terms of Use do get a bit tricky with this.

justred

justred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you both very much for answering my post.

I think I will remove the the Bittorrent app in any case. I knew I should never have installed it!

wannabe1, yes those filters are listed and I have attached the screen shot.

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

• registry_geeks2go.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Name this file filters and save it to your desktop.

Then right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Drives back?

justred

justred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Wannabe

Thanks for your post.

I have done exactly what you said but no, the drives are not back :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager and expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives catagory. Right click on each drive listed and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot.

How about now?

uesquebeathus

uesquebeathus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Missing DVD CD DRIVES in xp an vista
have a look at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

or this

this software patch from here can solve the problem sometimes, it was aimed at windows XP, but the problem is still there in Vista unfortunately
go to this web page

http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm

and Download

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

this is another way you have to open regedit and change this key
click start, then enter regedit

first back up the entire registry.

then look for this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am sorry but if the key is not there you will have to create it, then you will see the drive again,

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

Click on the start menu.

If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.

Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.

In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.

Restart Windows.

http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

Usage: Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Based on CDGONE.REG

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

1. Click on the start menu.
2. If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
5. Restart Windows.
6. Let me know if this works.

justred

justred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Open Device Manager and expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives catagory. Right click on each drive listed and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot.

How about now?

Hi

IT doesn't look like there is a DVD/CD-ROM drives catagory...

I also can't see any drives under another category...

Thanks for the post uesquebeathus, I will try those tools....

justred

justred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
uesquebeathus,

I tried those fixes. Still nothing.

I can confirm that the drives have power and open and close fine. I have checked the cables and they seems properly connected.

Still no joy!

Thanks

uesquebeathus

uesquebeathus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
check the bios screens at start up and see if the drives show correctly in the screen lists displayed.

if you know the motherboard maker, name or specifications have a look at their web site for any chipset driver or ide/sata driver updates download and run them.
make sure that one drive jumper is set at master and the other drive as slave,

if both drives on one ide cable are master the system does not know how to differentiate which is the real master and they are both shut off, the same thing happens if both are jumpered as slave,

definitely do not set them as cable detect,

also try and swap or use a replacement ide cable,

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's also clear the Prefetch in case it's trying to load a corrupt driver file.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". In the Prefetch window, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on one of the selected files and choose "Delete". Accept the change and reboot.

Then uninstall the drives from Device Manager again and reboot.

Note: It may take up to four boots to completely repopulate the Prefetch folder. Boot times may be slightly longer until it has repopulated completely.