Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What settings control whether I can send HTML forms or not?

• Please log in to reply

jchengery

jchengery

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello GeeksToGo,

I've been infected with Malware twice in the past; after the first incident was removed from my system, I adjusted my Internet Security Options to the settings you suggested on your "How Did I Become Infected in the First Place" page. Also, I utilized most of the software you suggested, including Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, the IE-SpyAds file, etc. That's certainly helped to keep my system from becoming infected again.

However, I have not been able to fill out and send HTML forms - I sign-up for different Internet marketers' newsletters and complete paid surveys, some of which utilize HTML forms; whenever I click on the form to send it, either the attempt will fail and/or a Warning message will appear that says, "Your Current Settings will not allow you to send HTML forms." I have to use an older computer that's using Win 98 and that doesn't have the modified settings to fill out those forms and complete the paid surveys.

Therefore, I'm wondering, what setting or settings do I need to change to allow me to send HTML forms using my Toshiba Satellite A75-S213 Pentium 4 Win XP laptop with 1 GB RAM and 100 GB HD? I don't plan to make the changes permanent, as I want to keep my system safe from malware. However, when I'm about ready to fill out an HTML form or begin a paid survey, I'd like to be able to have the ability to adjust my settings for that particular moment, then switch them back to their more secure settings after I'm done sending the HTML form or the paid survey. I suspect there is a way to do this, but I don't know what settings or tweaks I need to make in order to do this.

I'd appreciate any and all help on this - thank you.

Please take care, keep up the great work, and have a good day!

Sincerely,

Joe Chengery III

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi jchengery.

It sounds like your installation of Internet explorer is damaged. Repairing IE version 6 can be done, but it's a real pain in the butt. It would be much more effeicient to simply upgrade to a newer version of IE.

If you have SP2 installed and Automatic updates turn on then you may have already been upgraded to a newer version already without you realizing it. The new IE version was buried along with a bunch of other hotfixes.

Check Add and Remove Programs to see if version 7 is already installed. If so then uninstall it, download it and install it again.
Internet Explorer 7 download
Click the button "Get it now".

If you are running version 6 simply download version 7 and install it.

You may want to make sure your anti-malware protection is good:
Essential XP Virus & Malware Protection

jchengery

jchengery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello WinCrazy, I appreciate your prompt response - thank you.

2 Questions regarding your suggestion:

1. I remember that I was able to send HTML forms before I made the changes suggested by GeeksToGo to my security settings and before installing the software like Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, IE-SpyAd, etc. After that though, I no longer could. Therefore, are you sure it's due to IE 6 being "damaged" or is it just due to a security setting (or settings) that's set to "High" or set to "Disable"? Just wondering.

2. I've heard some complaints and bad reports about IE 7's "bugs" - have those been corrected or not? That's why I haven't upgraded to IE 7 yet. I figured I'd give it 9-12 months after it was introduced before I consider installing it, just to make sure the "bugs" are out of it. Has it been long enough yet or are there still problems with IE 7?

I'd appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience - thank you.

Please take care and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Joe Chengery III

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In Internet Eplorer 6.0 click Tools > Internet Options. In Security click each of the present icons, one after the other, and click Default Level. Do the same in Privacy. Go to Advanced and click Resore Defaults. Click Apply > OK