Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

prossesses

• Please log in to reply

grahame10

grahame10

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hello everybody i'm wondering if some one can give me some advice on reducing the programs in the task manager at present i've got 33 programs running. i cleared some by going into msconfig then start up and taking the tick out of all the programs except avg anti virus and zone alarm fire wall, that took about 16 out but it still leaves me with 33, taking them out has freed up a bit of memory ram but i still won't to free up some more.
the trouble is i don't no what the programs are and most have just 00 in the cpu, the computer has only 512 mb of ram installed with about 150 mb of unused ram
i'm running window xp home edition out look express 6 and internet explorer 7 i've just got (avg anti virus and zone alarm fire wall both the free editions, would be most gratefull if some one can point me in the right direction

many thanks grahame 10

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
graham10,

33 processes running is rather good. In safe safe mode you have 12-20 or so.

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hello tuxmaster

thanks for the info i thought 33 prossesses was to many and that most of them was not nesserary and taken them off would free up a bit of memory ram and make the startup on boot up a bit quicker. thanks again for your help and i will leave well alone.

thanks again grahame 10

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
For even better understanding of your processes, try out Sysinternals free Process Explorer: http://www.microsoft...ssexplorer.mspx

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hello 1101doc

thanks for the free download program, i've downloaded it but haven't had the time to go through it properly will have a better look tonight

thanks again grahame10

ps sorry don't know how to put a smilely face on the post

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Quick easy smiley: colon, dash, rt. parentheses.

Looks like this: :-)

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi 1101doc
thanks for the tip :)

grahame