Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook will not power on!

• Please log in to reply

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Compaq Presario 2500 (specifically 2594US) notebook

I used a Winflash utility from their website to update the BIOS:
http://h10025.www1.h...r...551&lang=en

I did this trying to fix the audio. The update utility verified compatibility with the BIOS and started to program the BIOS chip but froze. 48 hours later the progress bar had not moved a pixel and the system was completely unresponsive. I chatted with a support technician from Compaq/hp's website and the tech told me to take the battery and AC power out to power down the computer.

Upon plugging the AC back in, the notebook will not power on at all! The support technician is trying to send me to Best Buy's "geek squad," and assured me that they will charge money even for just the diagnosis!

I understand the concept of updating a BIOS, "bricking" a mobo, as well as "FUBAR" a notebook. I just can not believe it happened after following all official instructions and recommendations from their web site AND support technician! Is there any hope for this poor notebook aside from a whole new mobo?

Edited by MNOB07, 25 September 2007 - 07:30 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, did you try their user forum on the same site
http://forums1.itrc....;categoryId=411

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you could also try flashing it back though it sounds you are beyond that.... I've been in the same boat as you... fortunately the computer was brand new and they took it back and fixed it for me...

MNOB07

MNOB07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
yea it does not seem anything is working. I do not really have a budget for another notebook right now (was planning on getting a new one in a year) but maybe I can sell it for parts?

Anyone else have any ideas on how to get this thing working again? what does the "reset" button on the bottom of this thing do anyway?

Edited by MNOB07, 26 September 2007 - 04:31 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Probably resets the bios but since the bios is not there( or corrupted since it didn't finish install ) it probably wouldn't help.... IF you could get it apart and find the bios chip AND it is removeable AND you could find an identical one you might be able to replace it but that is not likely.... you could try contacting the company and see what they say... maybe they or someone they recommend can fix it but.... GOOD LUCK... sorry...