Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to Intel = wise?

• Please log in to reply

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Which brand would make better cpus for gaming? AMD or Intel?

I am interested in upgrading my AMD system to Intel maybe.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Intel currently has the top processors.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It depends on your budget. Higher budget system will do better with Intel but lower budget systems will see more performance for the money from AMD. Like Jack said Intel has the top performers as of now.

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'd say it depends on what your motherboard is compatible with, because there isn't much in it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you currently have an AMD, I would probably suggest just to stay with them for now, unless you've either got serious cash to burn, or you've been planning on this for a while. Your other threads were discussing the 6000+, however, so you should look at that. It's a good processor.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
im not so sure about intel. i was ALWAYS an AMD fanboy, but this december AMD will release their consumer quad cores, then you can use the quad-FX platform to have octo cores (but with our luck vista wont support 8 cores)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Did you hear about AMD thinking of making a tri-core processor? Seemed very odd but maybe it was just a rumor.

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 September 2007 - 07:26 PM.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
unlikely, as if they have the tech to put 2 cores on 1 die, then why make 2 cores on 1 die then a large core on 1 die? there would be too big a gap in clock speed

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

unlikely, as if they have the tech to put 2 cores on 1 die, then why make 2 cores on 1 die then a large core on 1 die? there would be too big a gap in clock speed

I have also discovered that AMD's tri-core is actually 3 cores on the chip. Not 2 Dual Cores on 1 chip like Intel.

Well the odds have beaten you my friend, http://www.pureoverc.../story1452.html, http://arstechnica.c...ore-phenom.html

I've seen the upcoming specs of the phenom tri-core and woah, It blew me away. http://www.reghardwa...m_details_leak/

Should I wait for the phenom than buying one-of-the-fastest AMD dual core processors?

Edited by JoJoTime, 27 September 2007 - 03:14 AM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Should I wait for the phenom than buying one-of-the-fastest AMD dual core processors?

No, most likely it will take a while for them to role out so buy whenever you want.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is a matter of preference. I feel like now is the time to buy when the prices on both sides are so low. Other people prefer to buy CPUs when they first come out but your wallet will definitly notice the difference between buying a CPU now as opposed to waiting for a new line.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

There will be a tri-core processor, it really is a smart move on AMD's behalf, remember there processors are all native, Intel on the other hand doesn't have a native quad making what AMD is about to do nearly impossible.
Basically what AMD is trying to do is increase yields, therfore increasing margins. Instead of through a bad processor away that only has one bad core it will simply disable it and place it on the market, similar to what Sony did with the cell processor (8 cores, however every PS3 only has 7 functioning cores to drastically increase yields). Intel is also doing the same with it's procesors and cache, slashing it in half. What AMD is doing is nothing new, it just a way to make money of hardware that would otherwise have no value.

Now back on topic, JoJotime, what socket is your motherboard and how much money are you willing to spend.
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 September 2007 - 07:53 PM.