Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hidden install file corrupt, help!

• Please log in to reply

equesdesign

equesdesign

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I hope someone here can help me. My other forums have had no success with my problem. I installed an OEM software package that came with my new hardware. during the installation, immediately after the extract, a tiny dialog came up and stated "corrupt executable file". I then tried to install a Windows Update and received the error "unable to verify files for installation, check that the crytographic service is running". I started and stopped it, same problem. I then stopped the service, re-registered the dll's and restarted the service. Oh, and I rebooted, again and again and again. I probably hold the world's record right now for reboots.

On researching the Windows Support web site I found many reports of Installer files that produced the same results that I was seeing. the great quest began at that point. I have run CClean, ATXfix, filmon, General-Clean, msicuu.exe, used sfc to replace system files, Dial-A-Fix, and a few more I can't recall right now. Nothing fixed the problem. No matter what I try to install I get a "corrupt executable file". Support from Memorex on their corrupt cd is silent. :) It's one of those ubiquitous bizarre install files in some deeply buried subdir and I can't find it.

Does anyone, anywhere have any ideas for me?? My next step is to format my hard drive and reinstall XPsp2, what a pain. I'm at the end of my rope, did I mention that this is my brand new shiny laptop not even out of the box for a week? :wave:

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello equesdesign,

Have your tried obtaining a new copy of the file?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi equesdesign.

The first thing to try next is doing a System Restore to a date just before trying to install that program.
Start All Programs > Accesseries > System Tools > System Restore.

Cross your fingers - SR often doesn't work when you need it the most.

If you do fix the problem the don't try to install that program again - it damage your XP installation.
Essential XP Virus & Malware Protection

equesdesign

equesdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the erunt info. I've loaded and set up to have the registry backup done on startup. The system restore was turned on for the laptop but it didn't work when I tried to do a restore.

I reformatted my cdrive and reinstalled the OS, drivers and apps. A real pain but possible.

Thanks to everyone who replied, the corrupt file was never found. I've got some new tools in case I get bitten by a corrupt install file again.