Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lack of sleep may be deadly

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
People who do not get enough sleep are more than twice as likely to die of heart disease, according to a study released on Monday.

Although the reasons are unclear, researchers said lack of sleep appeared to be linked to increased blood pressure, which is known to raise the risk of heart attacks and stroke.

A 17-year analysis of 10,000 government workers showed those who cut their sleep from seven hours a night to five or less faced a 1.7-fold increased risk of death from all causes and more than double the risk of cardiovascular death.

The findings highlight a danger in busy modern lifestyles, Francesco Cappuccio, professor of cardiovascular medicine at the University of Warwick's medical school, told the annual conference of the British Sleep Society in Cambridge.

"A third of the population of the UK and over 40 percent in the U.S. regularly sleep less than five hours a night, so it is not a trivial problem," he said in a telephone interview.

"In terms of prevention, our findings indicate that consistently sleeping around seven hours per night is optimal for health," he said.

http://uk.news.yahoo...-acc9995_1.html

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, especially with newborn children :) I've been living on a lot of iced coffee lately, I'm very naughty :wave: Let's hope he starts sleeping through the night soon so we can get some decent sleep!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i usually get about 5.5 to 6 hours of sleep a night...if i didn't have to work out in the morning i could get 7....but....i aint goin to no gym after work

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I normally get about 7-8. My problem is, I can't sleep before about midnight, no matter how tired I am.

I then have to get up at 8am for college.

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I lack self disciplin. :)

I have gone 4-5 days without sleep. :)

Often I will stay awake all night every so often then other days I will sleep loads. Like yesterday, I had slept almot all day and night. But a few days ago I stayed awake loads too. I just need more routine.

Pirate.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I sometimes go to sleep at 12 and wake up at 7... That's no biggie because on some days I start late and I can get a good sleep.