Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Photoshop 6.0

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
At college we have Photoshop (haha verstion 6).

Anyway, I tried to open a piece of work I had been working on at home in .psd format and got this message.

Posted Image

I fail to see how the college computers do not have enough RAM, they have at least 512MB, mos tlikely 1GB, at home I have 512MB and manage to run Photoshop CS3...

Edited by tiroshii, 26 September 2007 - 08:28 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, if the system doesn't have enough ram, then it will cache to physical disk. If the disk is running on low disk space then that could cause this error. Also, if your using cs3 at home, are you sure your doing it in a v6 compatible format?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not only that, but who takes care of the maintenance on the college computers? Such as, cleaning out old Restore Points, if any, using Disk Cleanup/Defragmenting programs of the HDs, removing old, unused programs, running malware apps, etc., etc.. You may be on a college PC that just needs a "tune up".

Ron

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

well, if the system doesn't have enough ram, then it will cache to physical disk. If the disk is running on low disk space then that could cause this error. Also, if your using cs3 at home, are you sure your doing it in a v6 compatible format?

Yes it was a .psd which should and normally open in any Photoshop version.

Not only that, but who takes care of the maintenance on the college computers? Such as, cleaning out old Restore Points, if any, using Disk Cleanup/Defragmenting programs of the HDs, removing old, unused programs, running malware apps, etc., etc.. You may be on a college PC that just needs a "tune up".

Ron

Yeah I must admit, I didn't have time to try another computer, I have never had problems before.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PhotoShop 6 may have issues with a computer that has more than 512Mb of memory.
However I have seen posts that state this program can work on computers with more than 512Mb.

What version of Windows are you running and what version of Windows is the college running? From your screengrab of the error message it looks like Win98 or ME. These versions of Windows have issues with more than 512Mb of memory.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

PhotoShop 6 may have issues with a computer that has more than 512Mb of memory.
However I have seen posts that state this program can work on computers with more than 512Mb.

What version of Windows are you running and what version of Windows is the college running? From your screengrab of the error message it looks like Win98 or ME. These versions of Windows have issues with more than 512Mb of memory.

College computers have XP, they just use a 98 skin to make them run faster, I know this because I recently got a copy of XP from School because I know the Technicians :).

I use XP Pro.

The college computers were recently updated to dual core processors and I assume more RAM was added.

Edited by tiroshii, 26 September 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Find out exactly how much memory the college computers have. At the moment I'm thinking, because Photoshop 6 is many years old, it won't work when there's more than 512Mb of memory in the computer. It is not the only program with this problem.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Find out exactly how much memory the college computers have. At the moment I'm thinking, because Photoshop 6 is many years old, it won't work when there's more than 512Mb of memory in the computer. It is not the only program with this problem.

It's hard to do anything like that on the computers as most of the commands in the Start menu have been blocked, as well as right click. I will go talk to the technicians today.