Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dead PC, ugh

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
hi guys [and gals]

i have a dead intel PC, it's not the power supply or the plug/power cord

any ideas?

my specs should be at the bottom of this post.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
by dead...what do you mean....and how do you know it's not the PSU or the power cord

we're gonna need a bit more info on what you've tried and what the actuall problem is before we can even attempt to help you

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
sorry,

it doesnt switch on t all. the hdd light comes on for probably less then a split second, none of the fans spin etc. replaced the PSU and the powercord and tried it in another plug but nothing. i did not move it or change any parts inside. i woke up and it was not coming on at all. and it stays in my room so no one touched it either.

it's an pretty old intel 3.0ghz [socket 775]
1gb ram

most of the thnigs are unplugged, gfx card, hdd etc.

no error codes nothing, stone dead :/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that the motherboard itself has gone....since you've bought a new PSU....if the HD and graphics card are removed and it's still showing the same symptoms...it's possible

i assume you've removed EVERYTHING from the board...including the ram and tried booting right? it should at least be able to come on and beep at you with no hardware installed

also might try taking the motherboard out of the computer and putting it on a piece of cardboard then hooking up the PSU and trying to start it up outside of the case...there might be a grounding issue (though those usually heppen when you're setting a machine up...not just out of the blue)

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
alright, tried all of that, none of it works. no beeps nothing. so i am guessing my next best bet is a new mobo? surely it has to be the mobo if it isnt any of the other stuff right?

by the way thanks for the help, always appreciated!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

surely

that's a word that should never be used with computer troubleshooting hehe

i'd say it's the most probable option?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I wouldn't exclude an improperly seated or dead cpu. It's true that in most cases the culprit is the motherboard but quite often it's the cpu. Please do the following:

1: Remove the cpu fan and heasink and take the cpu out. Clean the heatsink bottom and cpu top from any remains of thermal paste or pad. Reseat the cpu carefully, reinstall the heatsink and reboot. If it works you will have to take off the heatsink and apply a thin layer of thermal paste between the surfaces. If it doesn't:

2: If you have another computer with the same cpu socket move it's cpu to the non-working computer. If it works then your cpu is finished. If it doesn't, the motherboard is finished.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks, have done. nothing worked, so i went and bought a new mobo, not it works. i have a slight problem though and i am not sure if this should go to another thread no or not but it's software.

the hard drive that was in the dead machine was obviously still working fine, but whenever something like this happens the system doesnt boot up with the same hard drive, it gives you an error message 'a disk read error occured' press ctrl alt del to restart, you can try and use the repair console in XP but that does not work either. now, if someone knows a fix well and good however if there is no real way to fix this without formatting and reinstalling XP then please tell me how i access my desktop on my old hard drive as i do have another hard drive in the machine with nothing on but it wont let me access 'my documents' and says 'access denied'. that is the admin account on the machine as there is only one account anyway so it would be silly to be locked out of my own system.

thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You have to perform a xp repair installation. Look for link in my signature below.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
tried that :/

also tried most of the commands when you press 'r' and get options like, fixboot, fixmbr etc

none of them work and the hard drive is fine, i know this because it used to work and scanning it found no errors, but then again, windows scanned it :/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happens when you try repair installtion. Please give us some more details.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
when i boot from my XP CD, i get to the blue screen that loads all the files, tells me that it is copying files, then says will reboot in 15min time. it then reboots and gives me the same error. i have just downloaded the WD diagnostic tool and it took about an hour some change to check my 200gb drive, and found no errors. also searched on google for ages and nothing came up, they say it could be because i am using a ntfs partition on the drive? not to sure how that works. also ide cables etc but i doubt it will be that. not going to change them [besides the hdd is a sata drive]

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Check in the BIOS if the disk is recognised. Enable eveything that is related to SATA.

2: You may have to install SATA drivers. This is done from a floppy disk at an initial stage of files download during installation. When given the option press F5 or whatever is required to install the drivers.

3: If still no good try to disconnect the second disk and leave only the "problematic one". Try repair.

4" If still no good try it the other way around: disconnect the "problematic" disk and see if installation goes well on the other disk.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
bah, nothing worked. so now i am focred to format, which isnt a bad thing to do every once in a while :)

i am formatting and making a 20GB FAT patrition on my 200GB drive to see if it is any better or worse.

*tips hat* thanks again for all the help. always good to come here and get good sound advice from people who know whats going on. maybe oneday when south africa decides to give us capless adsl at an affordable rate i can be alot more help.