Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Loudly Whirring Chipset fan

• Please log in to reply

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
About a week ago I took the side of my case off which is on the side of the motherboard. Ever since then when I truen my computer on it starts to make a loud whirring noise, I noticed that if I tap the side the motherboard is on reltively hard, the noise stopped. I turned it on when the case was off and found out it was the chipset fan that made the noise.

I put a new PSU in today. And now the whirring noise is even worse because if I hit the side of the case now, the noise goes away but then comes back. So I'm not turning my PC on now until it is fixed incase my system becomes more damaged.

What do you guys think I should do?

Help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I would recommend replacing the chipset fan

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well I just took the fan off and spun it around a bit and there didn't seem to be any problems. I'm using an Abit KN8 Ultra motherboard btw. I find the heatsink the fan is mounted on is kind of wobbly. It also has too white bits on either side which are like springs which you push down. I presume these are for taking the heatsink off but does anyone know how to do it?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if the heatsink is wobbly that may be your issue. When the fan spins it may set up a resonence in the poorly attached heatsink... Not familiar with your particular setup and it's kind of hard to tell from pictures.... but often it is springs that hook into the board or possibly some plastic posts ( maybe what you have ) that poke through the motherboard.... if it's the posts it could be they just push back out from the bottom.... you might want to look around and see if you can find any heatsink/fan combos that looks like what you have... if not you may need to take it into someplace that does that kind of thing....

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hmm ok well I'm going to have to find a way of how to remove the heatsink if it needs replacing. The only way of getting my machine working now is to turn it on with the case open and poke around with a paintbrusg at the heatsink until it goes into the "right" place where it doesn't make the sound. Then I'm generally OK.