Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro Repair

• Please log in to reply

JWR

JWR

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz:

I have just changed a motherboard and in the process ran XP Pro repair. The repair process runs smoothly until the screen shows "Press any key to boot from CD", which I DO NOT. It then goes to the Windows boot screen that allows you to select normal or safe mode. It does seem as though it trys to boot from the hard drive. I've tried both both normal and safe mode, with the same results. I get the "press any key ...", then the "mode" screen.

I have re-run the repair the process, and gotten the same results. The drive, and op sys, were both running fine. It was the motherboard that failed.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and this motherboard was the same make and model or totally different?

JWR

JWR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I went from a Gigabyte to a ASUS motherboard.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It sounds like you did everything right....this must just be one of those cases where the motherboards are too different.

http://www.michaelst...oving_xp.html#4

Read the above and see if you followed the steps correctly, but it sounds like you did...

what kind of xp cd did you have? upgrade, retail or oem?

JWR

JWR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's a OEM version of XP Pro. Even if there is a license issue, shouldn't I be able to boot?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes...I'm considering alternatives.

I think that that installation of windows is likely hosed. A repair installation usually works but it is not 100 percent when the motherboard is so drastically different.

So, what are our options? Should be able to do this without data loss, but you will be reinstalling your programs....does that sound acceptable?

JWR

JWR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I haven't used the Repair Console commands. I was hoping someone might post "what to try first". The map command shows the partitions are still intact from the original install/motherboard.