Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchasing a New Video Camera

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi all, we're looking at purchasing a new digital video camera and just wondering what specs I should be looking for. Unfortunately, we're on a pretty tight budget, so it will have to be an entry-level one. I don't know much about anything to do with digital video. A HDD model is too expensive, so we're looking at one that records onto an 8cm DVD/RW. Will this be okay? It says RRP of $699 but I can get it for $585 on special (This is Australian $$$). Any suggestions or comments, please feel free to write!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got that exact camera! early wedding present from the parents....i've only had it for a month but i love the thing...it's very easy to use....intuitive functions and buttons and the image quality is really good for the price...plus...you can choose two different recording types....you can record direct to "dvd player compatible format" or you can use the sony format and edit the movie on the fly directly from the camera (seperating things, adding transitions etc..) it's also got a nightshot (and supernightshot) mode...which basically turns on an IR (infra red) LED and activates an IR sensor inside of the camera...really good night shots.....

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well I was at Target today (I think you have that department store over there) and I saw the DCRDVD605E (little bit different I guess) for $499, heaps cheaper. So I ran to the bank (it was closing time) and got the cash, went back and bought it. It scanned for $399! Sweet! The guy said "Dude you just got a good deal!"

It has the nightshot mode thingo, and I think pretty much everything else, so we saved a bunch!