Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow startup

• Please log in to reply

wen9x88

wen9x88

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I get to the desktop and then things load for about 2 mins before the hourglass goes away and everything is ok.

I am a little nervous about deleting things that may or may not be important.

I have run a number of spyware progs and removed any that were detected.

I have taken some screenshots of the processes in taskmanager in the hope that you can spot something wrong going on.

only the red underline cannot install.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by wen9x88, 27 September 2007 - 02:20 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Your slow startup could be related to a few things.
Could be virus/ malware. Go HERE to check malware/ viruss.

Could be a hardware startup issue. Check device manager for any red or yellow errors on the hardware. (start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager)

Could be a lot of items starting up during the boot process. Check your msconfig for odd entries/ entries you do not recognise.

In your screenshot, what is the entry above Ccleaner? The name is to weird. Thats why I suspect malware.

wen9x88

wen9x88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i think not virus and malware problem,because i solve all my virus and malware at other forum.
my system is very clear.and the weird name is not malware,it just a media player.
how about others?which one i can delete?

Edited by wen9x88, 27 September 2007 - 07:37 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Could be a hardware startup issue. Check device manager for any red or yellow errors on the hardware. (start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager)

Could be a lot of items starting up during the boot process. Check your msconfig for odd entries/ entries you do not recognise.

Did you look at these?

What programs do you have in your tray by the clock? These are startups and some don't need to run.

wen9x88

wen9x88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
it look good
Posted Image

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If you don't need immediate access to the language bar, or the ability to quickly switch to another language on the desktop, you can turn off ctfmon.

To stop ctfmon from autostarting and running all the time:

Go to the Control Panel and open Regional and Language Options. Then select Languages,
and after choosing Details, press the Advanced button.
Check the box that says "Turn off advanced text services." OK.

This does not prevent ctfmon from functioning in Office applications, but will stop it from running full time.
Unchecking ctfmon in msconfig will not work. It will simply replace itself the next boot.

I think that free WinPatrol is the most user friendly start-up control program available.
It has many other value-added features as well. http://www.winpatrol.com/

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you look for issues in device manager?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your startup menu looks good with a minimal number of programs running in the background. Looks to me as if an update or some sort of scan is being activated, ends up after 2 minutes or so and everything turns back to normal. To find out please disconnect your computer from the internet and disable the updating process wherever it's possible. For example disable update options for windows, mediaplayers, Adobe, Antimalware programs etc. Also disable memory scan upon startup of your antivirus. You may even uninstall your antivirus for the test and install it again.

If the problem is solved enable updates one at a time and reboot. This will help to find where the problem is.

wen9x88

wen9x88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i use BootVis,and it say my computer take 44sec to finish startup.
44sec is very slow for me.