Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Networking computer to anything but the internet

• Please log in to reply

figolamingo

figolamingo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it, spent a few hours pulling my hair out last night. Quite a long post and i apologise.

I recently purchased a lap top with my girlfriend. For the time being she is going to keep the laptop at her house, and her desktop will be kept at mine (don't ask).

I already have a desktop at home.

I now have her desktop set up at my house as well. I am attempting to connect her desktop, to my desktop or the laptop (not at the same time) with a crossover/ethernet cable.

Both desktops have XP with SP2.

The laptop has Vista Home Premium.

I successfully connected the laptop to my desktop, and have also connected the laptop to my internet connection.

I successfully connected her desktop to my internet connection.

The problem i am having is that i cannot connect her desktop to the laptop or my desktop. When connected to either of these the LAN network says it has little or no connectivity (as i have no router or anything yet, when two computers are connected to each other, they have no internet connection)

I'm at work at the minute as i didn't think of coming on here last night so if you think you could help, let me know what other information you need and i will post later

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll tell you right off...that networking with a crossover is more difficult than it should be hehe

are you planning on getting a router any time soon? also what's the purpose of connecting the PC's directly to each other?

figolamingo

figolamingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not sure if i'll be getting a router or not yet. At the moment all i'm trying to do is tranfer my girlfriends files from her desktop to our laptop.

I may decide to set up a network with both hers and my desktops, and a shared internet connection but not just yet.

When we move in together (not for a while on the very slight chance she's reading this :) ) i'll be creating a network for all three of them.

I've never had a problem connecting anything with a crossover before so this has kinda got me stumped.

Also if i get her desktop working then i'll probably end up connecting the two for some network gaming.

Edited by figolamingo, 27 September 2007 - 10:38 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're not actually networking anything...just transfering files and settings...you could get a usb file transfer cable like this http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=275561 and just use that...

or you could invest in an external hard drive to transfer the files