Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Disk Not Working

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi, for some reason the other day an external hard disk of mine stopped working. Whenever I plug it in, My Computer freezes and stops responding. I'm unable to access disk management either because it freezes too. I've tried it on my laptop and my desktop and the same thing happens. The hard disk itself seems to be fine at first, it makes the same noise it always does when its first connected. But then after about 30 seconds it makes the noise again, and then it continues to make the noise.

In case you're wondering, I do keep backups... I keep them on this hard disk. It contains copies of files I no longer have on my laptop but I still need to keep because I occasionally use them. I never thought about keeping a backup of a backup.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sounds like the hard drive is dead/dying.... it's possible you could take it out of the external case and hook it up internally.... and hope it is the external cables and such.... Barring that live and learn and back up to something a bit more stable than a mechanical device that is going to die.... and multiple backups is a must for "can't loose" files..... possibly even worth having an off site safety deposit box ( or even two )....

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
:)

Oh right. Well, thanks for the quick reply.

Anyway I can recover files from it without taking it out of the case just yet?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you able to use it on a different computer?

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
It hasn't worked on my laptop or my desktop.

Guest_stormtrace_*

Guest_stormtrace_*
I would check to see if this external drive works on another pc. You would want to rule out your os.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I have... I've tried it on my laptop (running Vista) and my desktop (running XP).

It doesn't work on either of them. :)