Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHEAP BUT GOOD FOR GAMING?

• Please log in to reply

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
hey, i've been having diffrent problems with my computer and im thinkin of just buying a new computer for cheap. preferably in the $400 - $600 range. i have a PCI video card and sound card so im set with that. my bro said that dual core computers run better b/c it splits the work between two processers? i think thats what he said. sounds good to me. so i want just the tower with dual core, i need it to have atleast 2 pci slots for the V-card and S-card i have a cd and dvd burner. it should be pretty cheap if alls i need are the mother board and w/e else. i want one thats good for gaming but i guess thats what the dual core is for lol.

Any recommendations? walmart or bestbuy would be nice. $400-$600.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hey, i've been having diffrent problems with my computer and im thinkin of just buying a new computer for cheap. preferably in the $400 - $600 range. i have a PCI video card and sound card so im set with that. my bro said that dual core computers run better b/c it splits the work between two processers? i think thats what he said. sounds good to me. so i want just the tower with dual core, i need it to have atleast 2 pci slots for the V-card and S-card i have a cd and dvd burner. it should be pretty cheap if alls i need are the mother board and w/e else. i want one thats good for gaming but i guess thats what the dual core is for lol.

Any recommendations? walmart or bestbuy would be nice. $400-$600.

If you want a gaming rig regular PCI is out of the question. If your are talking about PCI express that is the best right now.

At walmart and other places like that you have to watch out for the cheap computers as most of them dont even have an expansion slot for upgrading the video card. If you get a new pc you want pci express on the motherboard. If it only has regular pci slots DO NOT BUY IT!

Current games right now are more GPU dependant so you will want to get away from Regular PCI video cards as you wont see an improvement at all with a new pc. You will want to get a higher end pci express video card and since you have a lower budget get a little bit slower cpu. Make the video card #1 on the list then the cpu is next. Just trust me.. People always make that mistake.

With that budget you are better off with an amd system or either the E4300 allendale or something in the intel allendale series since it is cheap for the performance.

Not all programs and games take advantage of more than one core so what your bro said is somewhat true up to a point. In the future more and more programs and games will take more advantage of multi cores.

There is quite a few programs and games that do run better on more core cpu's.

Crysis the game is designed to take advantage of dual and quad core processors.

*edit* If you just bought that regular pci video card then I would try to take it back.

Edited by jrm20, 28 September 2007 - 06:59 PM.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
cool i'll look into it. hopefully they have a pc with EXPRESS AND PCI, b/c i just bought the [bleep] V-card.. oh well

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Just to make sure: if i were to go to bestbuy or wherever and try to get a computer i need to know what i need so i can ask one of the guys there for the right PC. heres what i know so far.

PC with PCI and PCI EXPRESS SLOTS
DUAL CORE PROCESSERS
thats about it. haha... i need more than that though besides what you said " E4300 allendale or something in the intel allendale series since it is cheap for the performance."
so if you could come of with a list or something that shows what i need that would be nice, this way i could show them what i want so i dont just walk in like an idiot and walk out with sh_t i dont even want or need.

thanks

also i have a cd and dvd burner too just for notice.

Edited by Kaygen123, 28 September 2007 - 03:41 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Just to make sure: if i were to go to bestbuy or wherever and try to get a computer i need to know what i need so i can ask one of the guys there for the right PC. heres what i know so far.

PC with PCI and PCI EXPRESS SLOTS
DUAL CORE PROCESSERS
thats about it. haha... i need more than that though besides what you said " E4300 allendale or something in the intel allendale series since it is cheap for the performance."
so if you could come of with a list or something that shows what i need that would be nice, this way i could show them what i want so i dont just walk in like an idiot and walk out with sh_t i dont even want or need.

thanks

also i have a cd and dvd burner too just for notice.

If you bought a manufactured pc like HP,compaq, acer etc from bestbuy /walmart or where ever its going to be above your budget some they usually run atleast $650 for an Allendale basic pc with 1gb of ram then you would need to upgrade the video card. Thats why I dont really like manufactured computers they charge too much for what you are getting..

If you build your own pc it could be done with an Allendale processor and a decent video card for $600.

The amd X2 dual core processors are even cheaper like half the price but the performance isnt as good than with the Allendale.

Im just not big into manufactured computers. For the price range of $600 on a manufactured pc you will almost always have to upgrade the video card also..

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well essentially your in the right place. Keep in mind the e4300 is fairly low end. you might get a significant upgrade for just a few dollars more. Course if your buying one at best buy, its hard to break down prices that far.

here is a new article worth reading: http://anandtech.com...doc.aspx?i=3112
midrange cpu's.

anyway, only other thing you need to look for is the ability to add a graphics card. It should include at least one pci express x16 slot. Being mid range, it might be listed as x8... and that's ok.

for example: http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1179877268063
This is an emachines system that meets all of your needs. IT allows for you to upgrade your cpu, memory, video card at a later time. Even the power supply is upgradeable in this one. Often in hp's, dell', compaq's the ps is not a standard form factor.

Here is another one:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8208432&type=product&id=1166840382678
This is simply an intel alternative. Currently listed as sold out. It also doesn't tell you if it has the ability to install a video card like the above model. I included this so that you could see the alternatives.

Both of these come with intergrated video. Good enough to run vista, but if your going to play cod2, quake wars, crysis, medal of honor, then your going to need a better video card.

The only other thing I might mention is that this come with 1gig of ram. I highly recommend upgrading them to 2 gigs if they run vista. IF they run xp, then your ready to go.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you dont want a manufactured pc take a look at this place.

Here ya go buddy try this place out its http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

They will build a pc and put together everything for you. They have good prices on this site and yes they have computers in your $600 budget with pretty dang good graphics cards. Remember to select and operating system if you dont already have one.

Look at the Athlon64 AM2 Dual Core Custom Build Configurator

Edited by jrm20, 28 September 2007 - 07:34 PM.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

for example: http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1179877268063
This is an emachines system that meets all of your needs. IT allows for you to upgrade your cpu, memory, video card at a later time. Even the power supply is upgradeable in this one. Often in hp's, dell', compaq's the ps is not a standard form factor.

thanks for the input guys. hey the "eMachines Desktop with AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+ " you showed me it looks nice for what i need BUT i dont tink it has 2 PCI slots so i wouldn't be able to use both my PCI sound card and PCI video card.. i think it says it has one pci and two PCI-Express.. not sure. it looks good but i would much rather have one that has 2 PCI and one express so i wouldn't have to buy a new video card. i just bought this one so it would suck wasting that money.

"http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/" this also looks like a good site if were looking for something nice and customized just for me. i just have to figure out how to do it what i want and get my mom to help me with ordering it.

thanks- if theres anything else i should know then feel free to reply.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You should check out Tom's Hardware's $500 gaming machine. It is intended to get a video card upgrade so it's true price will not be $500 and if I remeber correctly they don't include the price of a Windows OS. You can check it out here: http://www.tomshardw...e_2007_edition/. It will give you an idea of the componants you would want to piece together on CyberPowerPC.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 October 2007 - 02:24 PM.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
This is great my brother just introduced me into this barebone kit thing, and he's gunna hook me up with these items: TOWER: http://www.tigerdire.....u=M450-2314 G // FAN: http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=K450-1109 // HARD DRIVE: http://www.tigerdire...mp;Sku=THD-80JB // i'm gunna pay him and he's gunna order the stuff. i think what he picked out is perfect for me. i hope they dont go out of stock. lol oh well check it out tell me what you think.

~Kaygen

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I don't recommend a barebone kit. It limits the your options by a lot. The one you have selected has a mAtX motherboard that only has two RAM slot as well as two SATA slots. The PSU will probably fry your whole system in three months. The CPU is a generation behind. Did you read that article at all?

And there were some surprises: The most expensive component actually is the power supply, while RAM was the least-expensive part.

It is key that you buy a quality PSU. That one there is a 450 watt that comes with a $40 case. It will be as cheap and generic as it gets.

Edited by Titan8990, 05 October 2007 - 02:43 AM.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
oh well i think what im getting is a good deal for what i need. i dont need a real godly computer for what i do so its ok.

thanks

Edited by Kaygen123, 05 October 2007 - 12:43 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well, I hope it work out well for you....

Grind

Grind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
If you havnt bought your computer yet... i would buy this lol
Its the best setup your gunna get for under 600 bucks lol... Will play any game with decent FPS as of now except for maybe Crysis..

~$600 Budget (AMD) ( Oct. 2, 2007 )

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write $33

COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $50

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $70

GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard $75 (integrated video which should be disabled)

CORSAIR ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply $80

A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit Memory $63

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(65W) Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor $90

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16Video Card $135 (Free Game -> GRAW 2)

Subtotal: $595.92 - 2 x $10 MIR

Made by jsv35 off eggxpert forums and i agree apon his part usage

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
sounds good but i allready have the sh-t ordered from tigerdirect

thanks