Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blocky icons in taskbar

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi! I've found that my taskbar has really blocky icons compared to my quick launch. I've noticed that a while ago, it was smooth edged but now its all choppy and strange looking.

Could someone please tell me if theres a solution to revert it back to its previous smooth glory?

I've attached the below file to illustrate what I mean,
Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails

• taskbar.JPG

Edited by domyue, 27 September 2007 - 05:49 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The size of the icons in the Taskbar and Notification Area (System Tray) are controlled by the size of Caption Buttons. (Sometimes I wonder who categorized this stuff!!)

To change them it is necessary to access Display Properties. This is easily found in the Control Panel as Display, or can be opened by a right click of the Desktop and choosing Properties.

The Appearance tab needs to be selected, and once there, press the Advanced button near the lower right.

Here you find a small drop-down menu box. Use the little 'v' at the right to scroll down to Caption Buttons. Just to the right will present the current size. I expect that you will want to take them down some. I have mine set at 20, and that makes them quite sharp. Set as you like, and then OK that window, and Apply the next.

Your screen will grey out for a bit and Windows will say: "Please Wait." When things color back up the icons will have changed.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks! I'll give that a go tonight.

Could you also tell me how to make the taskbar a tad thinner??

Thanks again!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Taskbar is touchy. Only wants to be at certain sizes. Inbetween doesn't tend to hold. Try unlocking the Taskbar and dragging the margin up or down with the tweezers that form out of the cursor when hovered over the edge.