Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick question

• Please log in to reply

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok so currently the computer in my house is a Pentium 4 1.7 GHz, 512 MB of ram, 60 GB HDD, and thats about all I know. Oh and the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200. I want to get my own computer next Friday, and this one looks sort of good, but I don't know much about dual cores and stuff. This is the computer I'm thinking of getting http://www.futuresho...i...238&catid=. So will this be a noticeable upgrade for me or what?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I don't recommend getting computers or parts from any stores like BestBuy and Futureshop. You can make your own computer for less if you want to.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Unless you know nothing about making computers then it is not recommended.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I don't recommend getting computers or parts from any stores like BestBuy and Futureshop. You can make your own computer for less if you want to.

Soorena

As jack mentioned, this isn't possible for all users :)
James

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I don't have any stores around here where I can build my own comp, and I would prefer to just get a bundle like this so that it comes with the OS and I know that it will work.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah I dont know any good canadian custom shops that offers build your own with options you can select for cheap. You might be better off with a manufactured one already built, especially since you dont know how to build a custom pc.

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I appreciate the info on you guys telling me to do a custom build, but I was sort of hoping to get my question answered on whether this is a good upgrade for me or not.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's a decent upgrade, but what do you want to use the new computer for?
Gaming, no it's not good, office applications it will do just fine.
James

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

It's a decent upgrade, but what do you want to use the new computer for?
Gaming, no it's not good, office applications it will do just fine.
James

Well mainly for watching video, listening to music, msn, various applications etc. I heard dual core is good for multitasking which I seem to do a lot. And as for gaming, what is the reason for it not being good? Because I was planning on upping the graphics card and ram.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You'd need to check if there is any PCIe slots on here, I have heard of some of these rigs only sporting PCI slots on their motherboards.
Ram isn't so much of an issue, even though I highly recommend gaming on only 2GB of ram on vista (the operating alone uses pretty well the entire 1GB).
It's the fact that you only have onboard, if you get a card there will be the possibility of gaming, but even then the CPU is a bit on the slower side, while you will be able to current games things coming out in the near future will begin to struggle with it. Then again it all depends what game you plan on playing.
For an example minimum requirements for crysis is rumored to be the equivalent of the 3800+ which is quite close to your CPU.
James