Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp repair

• Please log in to reply

Gwendolyn G

Gwendolyn G

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Im sure this't isn't new, but here it goes.

I purchased my laptop from a rent to own store. It was already loaded with Windows XP.
Sometime last year, I came home to find my laptop constantly rebooting itself. I contacted a computer store that wanted $200 just to look at it. I'm a college student with a mortgage...I can't afford that!
So one of my friends that is a computer genius said that it was fixable and I would not lose my data. He offered to fix it and I was elated. Needless to say, he never looked at it.
I'm stuck using the family PC and I'm getting ready to relocate to another state...I need my laptop!!

I happened across your site and thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, but it dimmed because I have no XP CD. A friend suggested I try using his XP CD (he purchased the OS from Best Buy). It gets all the way to the point of trying to find existing windows installations. It does not give me the option to repair the window XP installation. I'm assuming the data or partition is too corrupt. BUT, I have so many important files, pictures, and music on my laptop. I am so computer illiterate. Since my laptop can't boot up, how do I go about backing up my hard drive? How do I repair my laptop? You have to put it in non technical terms because I was getting so dumbfounded with terms like OEM and other stuff.

Advertisements

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
You could try a system restore to before the problem started.
Tap the f8 key during boot-up and go to safe mode.

Look at system restore dates and go to the oldest date listed.

Another option is doing chkdsk of hard drive from safe mode also.

http://computerclean...for-errors.html

Edited by latigid, 28 September 2007 - 08:35 AM.

Gwendolyn G

Gwendolyn G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok when I tap f8 this is what happens:

please select option:
safe mose
s/m with networking
s/m with command pro,pt
enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last known config
directory services restore
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
start windows normally
reboot
return to os choices menu
so i select safe mode and the new page says:

please slect the operating system to start and it only gives me windws xp home edition
says please press enter. for troubleshooting and advanced startup options for windows press f8 (but doing that takes me back to the first page) so i press enter

it lists off stuff that says multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drives\then other stuff

then a blue screen flashes an it shuts off then back on, so i never get an option to view system restore dates

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Here's a couple of things to get you started. Take a deep breath and read them carefully.
First do the "Checkdisk" procedure, and then attempt to do a System Restore. You will need your friend's XP CD, but since you will not be doing an install, licensing will not come into play.

Should you need assistance with the steps, just post back. Read the commands very carefully. The spaces between letters are vital when they appear. I suggest holding the instructions open on your functioning machine while performing the Recovery Console procedures on your laptop.

http://www.geekstogo...xp-t131922.html
http://forums.cclonl...read.php?t=1183

Edited by 1101doc, 29 September 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Gwendolyn G

Gwendolyn G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I could cry!!

Not only is my laptop working, but my files, pictures, and music are all there and accessible!! :wave:

I am so blown away and lost for words. :)

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!! :)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I am so glad for you!
Also: GOOD JOB!!
On following all those complex instructions and being patient through all that checkdisc screen.

Now a small semonette:

You don't want to get to that place again,eh?
To avoid it and keep your system working smoothly, you'll need to "Take Steps."

I've posted alot of what I have learned about keeping my computer(Windows) working smoothly on
Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/

The "links" are not "live." To view the referenced web pages, copy and paste the URLs to your browser address bar.
Get WinPatrol. Get ERUNT. And Process Explorer. Put them to work for you.

Make sure your 'security' programs are doing the job.
Spend a little money on a full-time anti-spyware client.
Use a more secure browser, etc.,etc.
I know that you've heard it all before, but...

Get an inexpensive external USB hard drive and keep your documents and photos and stuff there.
If they're really important, burn a CD also, and/or store them on-line at one of the free services.

In other words, "Take Steps" to become an informed user. It's really so much more fun when I know what is happening and why, and especially when I have procedures in place to quickly get me back to a fully functional system when things go wrong. And no matter how hard we try--they will, eventually.

As your experience has revealed, an XP CD can be just the ticket. Yes, they are expensive, but as much fun as I have with my computer, and as much as it allows me to accomplish, I think a "Full Retail" XP CD is worth the money. Retail belongs to me. I can take it off one machine and put it on another. OEM copies die with the machine on which they were first installed--they 'belong' to the machine.

I hope you have a great time in your new location, and that everything continues to work well for you. Geeks to Go isn't going anywhere. If and when you need assistance, just come on back, and our team will do what we can. This place is a great information resource as well. Tons of good stuff in the 'pinned' posts.

Enjoy your "new" laptop, but please do "Take Steps" to keep it working the way you like it.
Once again, Way to Go! :)