Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone getting new pc or upgrading just for Crysis/others

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Well I just decided that its time to upgrade to a brand new whole system. I already bought the mobo and ram and I will soon buy the rest of the parts...

All these new games coming out like Crysis and Alan Wake you will need atleast a dual core or quad core preferred lol.. I couldnt hold off anymore the time has come.

By the way the P35 chipset motherboards are very nice even though the x38 chipsets are well on there way I didnt want to wait any longer. :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah I built in June for Crysis, if the game has dual monitor support I'm going to put two HD2900XT in crossfire (right now I only have one). But I plan on buying some water cooling soon to boost my CPU from 2.4GHz (E6600) to 3.5GHz or more, depending on how hard I can push it without exceeding 62ish on load. (I want to run it on at least high at a 1680x1050 resolution)
x38 chipsets motherboards are going to be overpriced, they are starting around the 280$ mark, my limit for a mobo would be 200$. I don't think anyone would really be out anything getting a P35 over a X38 aside from the dual x16 slots, but x4 is just barly a bandwidth bottleneck now, we are just beginning to exceed it, and bamb PCIe 2.0 is now here.
I think everyone on geekstogo will have to get into a single room and play one another, I can't wait for the game, just disappointed the demo was delayed a month.
O well gives me more time for tweaking :).
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 September 2007 - 08:37 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yeah I built in June for Crysis, if the game has dual monitor support I'm going to put two HD2900XT in crossfire (right now I only have one). But I plan on buying some water cooling soon to boost my CPU from 2.4GHz (E6600) to 3.5GHz or more, depending on how hard I can push it without exceeding 62ish on load. (I want to run it on at least high at a 1680x1050 resolution)
x38 chipsets motherboards are going to be overpriced, they are starting around the 280$ mark, my limit for a mobo would be 200$. I don't think anyone would really be out anything getting a P35 over a X38 aside from the dual x16 slots, but x4 is just barly a bandwidth bottleneck now, we are just beginning to exceed it, and bamb PCIe 2.0 is now here.
I think everyone on geekstogo will have to get into a single room and play one another, I can't wait for the game, just disappointed the demo was delayed a month.
O well gives me more time for tweaking :).
James

If you get watercooling look into the swiftech 220 apex kit.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835108076

Its good for future upgrades to quad cores. That swiftech pump is one of the best if not the best pump you can get right now. Swiftech blocks are also some of the best you can get. Just search for reviews on that kit. Dont look at the thermaltake/koolance/coolermaster kits as they are not good at all.. Thermaltake pumps are not good at all.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah new to the water cooling, I was going to get a thermaltec ultra 120, but I was already spending 80$ so I was like might as well go for the water cooling :)
Yeah I was actually comparing these two setups (one of which you suggested):wave:, I want the best radior I can find right now though since I think I might be getting a waterblock from danger den for my HD2900XT.
http://www.ncix.com/...acture=Swiftech
and this one
http://www.ncix.com/...anufacture=NCIX

Then again, I might just complicate things a build a custom setup.
Either way this is going to be an interesting first experience if I do end up making the plunge.
Still looking as I'm completely newbto water cooling, used to regard watercooling as to high of a risk for the reward, but it seems to have improved and good enough for my liking.
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 September 2007 - 04:55 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yeah new to the water cooling, I was going to get a thermaltec ultra 120, but I was already spending 80$ so I was like might as well go for the water cooling :)
Yeah I was actually comparing these two setups (one of which you suggested):wave:, I want the best radior I can find right now though since I think I might be getting a waterblock from danger den for my HD2900XT.
and this one

Either way this is going to be an interesting first experience if I do end up making the plunge.
Still looking as I'm completely newbto water cooling, used to regard watercooling as to high of a risk for the reward, but it seems to have improved and good enough for my liking.
James

You dont have to worry about leakage too much anymore. The companies have good enough hardware that comes with the kit if you install and follow the instructions properly you will have a quality piece of equipment. Just take your time and dont rush. If its your first time dont run the computer for about 24hours so you can catch any leaks.. I was weary also a couple years back about water cooling but if you follow instructions and go slow you will be fine.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

and this one

James

You dont have to worry about leakage too much anymore. The companies have good enough hardware that comes with the kit if you install and follow the instructions properly you will have a quality piece of equipment. Just take your time and dont rush. If its your first time dont run the computer for about 24hours so you can catch any leaks.. I was weary also a couple years back about water cooling but if you follow instructions and go slow you will be fine.

Which is exactly what I think, add more fun to a build :)
Penryn is said to be able to be overclocked really high on air, water should make matters even better :)
Whatever the case, I still can't wait till crysis, whatever the outcome, good or bad, I need a new FPS, rainbow six is fun, but I always need something new :)
James

Nayfunx1991

Nayfunx1991

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I Hope i Can im Just Going to Build my Own Most likely To work out Cheaper and atleast i Know Whats in my System instead of Ready Made

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) I like that idea too, Nayfunx1991!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey jrm20! Can you give us a run-down of what components you have (or are getting) and why you chose those particular ones? Why brand-name, why model, etc... It could be helpful for those still learning about hardware. And I'm interested :wave:

Cheers :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ahhhhh forget it!

I'm just having a run through the Crysis demo, just to check out the graphics. But I keep dying :) I'm so not good at FPS games :) They scare me.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Ahhhhh forget it!

I'm just having a run through the Crysis demo, just to check out the graphics. But I keep dying :) I'm so not good at FPS games :) They scare me.

Lol, well practice makes perfect. I built mine not for crysis but cause I was sick and tired of my P4 and I already had that Watercooled so now I just switched to this new beast and it can handle anything I throw at it. Also James you will be able to pass waaaay over 3.5Ghz with watercooling. I know cause I have.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 01 December 2007 - 12:18 PM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I won't be upgrading for any game in specific, my computer still runs the new ones, though it be on medium or low. Graphics don't make a game, the gameplay does. So as long as I'm having a good time the graphics don't bother me, I really don't even think about it.

I have started to pull money out of every paycheck though so I can build up the cash to build myself a new machine. Mine's not going too last much longer the more advanced games are getting.

**Didn't notice how old this thread is til I checked. Only read the topic then the last few replies. :-P

Edited by ADNoland, 02 December 2007 - 12:05 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Game play is good, sure, but if it looks good as well... :)

:)

Laptop-noob

Laptop-noob

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
question: if im able to play c.o.d4 pretty well with almost no problems
will i be able to run Crysis or atleast meet minimal requirements?