Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Registry items

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
When i do a scan and it shows how many different items are scanned, it shows 692 in the registry.

Is that an average amount or not? Seems like a lot of things are duplicated in there, also.

Anything to do with the registry seems daunting at best, so i thought i would check this out with the experts.

Should i be concerned?

Oh, the scan was clean. AND I did searches to see if i could locate anything in other posts that might answer my question.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
the amount of entries in your registry depends on the amount of things installed and configured on your cmputer...and that number will varry between each system

also...some things will look like duplicates but will be in different sections

so say you did a registry scan? with what?

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Think of the Registry as a massive rule book. Computers cannot think. They must have instructions for everything. Those instructions are in the Registry. You'd be amazed at just how detailed the instructions can be.

When I make changes on my system, new rules are automatically added to the rule book. Sometimes old rules are not removed. That's OK. The old rules do not apply to anything anymore, anyway, so Windows just skips over them in a nanosecond.

Virus and malware scans always search the Registry, because the 'baddies' write rules for themselves without permission. The number of entries scanned by your security programs varies. It depends on what they are looking for. The Registry itself has thousands of entries.

And duplicates?? Sure, sure, lots of those things might seem to be duplicates,
but really, Windows won't write 2 rules exactly the same.

Now about the so-called Registry "Cleaners."

I have never read a post in which anyone said that such a program corrected any problem,
I have read many in which the problem began after running such an application.
Just say NO!

If (a big 'if') you have Registry concerns, start a thread about it, and listen to the suggestions of the Senior Members.
They will not steer you wrong.

In the meantime, free ERUNT provides quick, easy, effective Registy backup.
ERUNT info and tutorial: http://www.larsheder...erunt/erunt.txt
ERUNT download: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Brilliant, doc.