Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In need of upgrade recommendations!

• Please log in to reply

DOH!

DOH!

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Asus K8V Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8383 Apollo K8T800, AMD Hammer
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
Storage:
Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP0802N (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

So mainly what I am looking for is a new video card, and hard-drive. I am pretty sure the MB is still sufficient, but I posted it anyways. Also I am going to upgrade the RAM as well so any recommendations on the upgrades would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance G2G.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I would get a whole new computer if I were you.
CPU is kinda low
you would need a new motherboard because you only have an AGP slot and not a PCI-E slot
Memory is low but is also slow. When you upgrade the motherboard I would go with DDR2 RAM.
But the hard drive looks pretty good except it is a little small.

PS: What do you plan to do with it?

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Just upgrading before UT3 comes out.

What would you recommend? I doubt I can toss up the flow for a NEW rig (paid 1800 for this a couple years ago, and still is doing the job), but I can def. upgrade this one. I would like a new case though, this ol' generic black looking thing is an eye sore for sure. Really do need more ram, thats for sure, being stuck with 512 is a B**CH! Would like a bigger hard drive as well. The only thing I figured I wouldn't need to touch was the MB, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt which is why I posted it up anyways. Thanks again my friend and your recommendations would be highly appreciated!

-DOH

Edited by DOH!, 28 September 2007 - 10:33 PM.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Anybody?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well I am sorry but it will be easier and cheaper to get a whole new computer. If you are going to upgrade just about everything is going to be replaced, so you pretty much have to start all over. If you want a new video card you are going to need to upgrade your motherboard from AGP to PCI-E, you will also need to get a new motherboard because you want a new dual core processor. Once you get the new board you are going to need DDR2 RAM, you have just DDR RAM so you will have to take out the old 512mb of DDR. You want a bigger hard drive so that is in the bill too. And last you want a new case so that covers just about every component of a computer that needs to be replaced.
I can help you decide on components for a new build but trying to salvage your old one is going to be less cost efficient, difficult, and will have less performance then the same amount of money that will be invested into to a get a whole new rig.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You need to give us a budget. Everything depends all upon the budget which you have.

Yes I would get a new motherboard that has a pci express slot so you can ditch the agp. In my opinion its not worth upgrading that current system since it is fairly old technology now. I am also getting a whole new pc now. I already bought some of the parts.

Anyway since its fairly old technology you really should get a new mobo and try to go atleast one generation up like to an amd am2 X2 processor. They are very cheap processors now since all these new dual and quad cores are out and more is on the way.

You can get an amd athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor for $75. Get a cheap mobo for like $75, $50 is kinda cheap but you could get one for that if you are low on cash. That is where the budget comes in.. Then get some ddr2 800 ram which is very cheap now like $65 for a good brand of 2gb like below.. These parts are super cheap now there is no reason not to upgrade atleast to this level of parts.. Get a better video card for gaming in mind.. If you want to do gaming make sure the video card is #1 on your list then cpu is next.. Alot of people dont do that and end up getting slow video cards when the rest of there system is adequate and the slow video card makes the pc seem slow in games...

This is just quick parts I looked at just to show you that a new pc can be built for super cheap.. These processors are last gen but are still adequate for the newer games. The amd X2 processors are dual core so its already faster than your current cpu.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820211066

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103741

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128034

My rule of thumb is you should be atleast one generation behind on computer parts to be fine in playing games adequate. Your current rig is 2 generations behind for example. Trying to put things in terms so you can understand them easy.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Alrighty, well I mean I have a good ammount of money to toss up ~8-900. Could I get a beastly rig built for this price (mainly for UT3, which I hear you need atleast 3.4MHz to play)? I have a local lan center that would do the build after I have the parts so I know it would be properly built.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Alrighty, well I mean I have a good ammount of money to toss up ~8-900. Could I get a beastly rig built for this price (mainly for UT3, which I hear you need atleast 3.4MHz to play)? I have a local lan center that would do the build after I have the parts so I know it would be properly built.

http://unreal.freaky...quirements.html

Preliminary UT3 System Requirements

Minimum Requirements

CPU: 2.8Ghz
RAM: 512MB
Graphics: Geforce 6 series

Recommended System

CPU: 3-4Ghz
RAM: 1024MB
Graphics: NVIDIA 6800GT/Ultra or 7800GT/GTX SLI

For $900 you could get a pretty decent pc yes. Just make the video card #1 on the list like I said that is where people make the mistake.. Thats right on the borderline for the newer intel stuff but you could get a cheaper core 2 duo intel processor with 2gb of ram.

Like a e4400 allendale core 2 duo processor $125

Get a mobo like for $100 or so

2gb ddr2 800 ram for $65

Get atleast a 8800gts 320mb meant for gamers in mind like I said dont be skimpy on video card. The 640mb is alittle bit more..

279.99 for the 8800gts 320mb

get a good powersupply since its a dual core you dont really need but 650watts to be more than adequate. 700 would be more future proof but you wont need but 650watts and for a 650 watt it will be around $125 for a HIGH Quality brand you dont want to skimp on this either..

Harddrive will be like $75 for a 320gb which is a steal.

Get a case whatever price you want from cheapo to high end..

dvd combo drive can be bought for $30 from samsung..

all that can bring you right at $900 or less depending on what case and other stuff you chose..

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Alright, I'll scope out Newegg for what you have said thus far, and you let me know if it will all work out together. Also, is there any other websites to look at for parts besides of newegg?

Edited by DOH!, 29 September 2007 - 10:47 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yes

zipzoomfly.com
clubit.com

Tigerdirect.com is okay
Directron is okay they are more expensive like tiger is on certain stuff

On zipzoomfly and clubit sometimes the motherboard will be cheaper there. I got my abit ip35 pro for less at zipzoomfly.

For memory newegg has everyone beat on memory prices..

Edited by jrm20, 29 September 2007 - 11:03 PM.

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Awesome, I am just making a list from the stuff on Newegg, and then I will compare it on all websites but will list the components here to get your approval. Cool with you? Thanks for the speedy responses!

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Case
Power Supply
Hard Drive
RAM
Video Card (or is it worth the $90 for the extra 320MBs?)
Processor (or one that you recommend over this one)

I am totally lost on a motherboard to get, and realizing that the prices really have gotten cheap, could you find the best one you’d think would suite my needs and toss me the link? What other tid bits could I get to keep the temperatures down on the hardware? Read that he heat sink on the processor I have linked is rather weak, would you recommend a heat sink for the processor, and hard drive? Also, I didn’t find a DVD combo drive so if you wouldn’t mind finding one of those that would be greatly appreciated. Other then that if you think everything else is good to go let me know so I could start ordering my parts.
Thanks for all the superb help!

Edited by DOH!, 29 September 2007 - 11:55 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Here is a list I did for you under your budget. All you need to choose is a Case and thats it. Remember this price doesnt include an operating system so if you already have windows xp then your covered for now. You could always get vista later on if you wanted. Id stick with the video card 8800gts its a directx10 video card for the newer directx10 games but you cannot take advantage of that architecture unless you buy vista.

I would stick with everything I have here wouldnt lower anything at all. P35 chipset motherboards are newer which I would stick with it they just run alot better than older chipset mobos. Try to stay with a p35 mobo like the one I picked. I wouldnt go any cheaper for a power supply in my opinion.. That one is a reliable brand, if you can spare alittle bit more ocz has a gameXstream 700w for $139 but has a $30 mail in rebate you will get that money back.

You could always upgrade the cpu to alittle bit faster one if you wanted. Just pick a low cost case and you can have enough to upgrade a few things if you wanted.

Anyway its just a quick list for now.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827151153

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136074

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150171

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817702003

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820211066

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115014

Total is $811.93 for the items I posted above.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yeah I just got done posting my info. I see what you posted last. If you want the clear acrylic case its up to you.

On the list I did I chose an Intel build.

Going amd am2 is still fine. The AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ is faster than the intel E4400 and I kinda wanted you to stay amd to begin with because of your budget. When you start getting into the e6XXX series from Intel it annihilates amd's dual cores. Those intels are out of your price range though and the quad core Q6600 can be bought for just a tad more than the e6600..

The intel core 2 duos even the allendale I picked out will overclock like crazy even on air even better than amd x2 chips..

Since you are not overclocking and have a budget of $900 id stick with what you had picked out for the processor and go AMD.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Coolio, I was just trying to go with the other power supply which is 680W because it matched the case haha.

EDIT- Just read your last post. what is over-clocking and what is it used for? After reading your sig, our builds seem pretty close to the same minus the processor and case haha. And of course the liquid cooling, that worth the penny?

Edited by DOH!, 30 September 2007 - 12:43 AM.