Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot...unless

• Please log in to reply

z00ropa

z00ropa

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My computer has developed a problem, it will not boot up, nothing happens the screen stays blank like its not even connected. Sometimes if I try to switch it on it will make one long beep followed by four short beeps and shut down. However, if remove the motheboard battery for a minute or two it will boot up just fine.

I have tried unplugging all devices, video cards, and trying different RAM sticks... same problem.

Any ideas? :)

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
what pc do you have, some specs? coz one short and four long beeps is a specific error from the mobo.

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Its a system I built. Abit AN8 32X MB. Problem is all AMD 939 processors and MBs have pretty much been discontinued. I can find some socket 939 MBs but none that are SLI.

Sucks.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if something is messing up the cmos settings. By taking the battery out you force the computer to boot on default values.

1: Use a voltmeter to check the battery voltage. It should be above 3.0 volt.

2: Are there any devices near the computer that can create electromagnetic interference (electric motors, heavy load electrical switches, flashing neon lights etc.). If yes, try to remove the computer away from them (if possible).

3: Another source of problem could be an unstable power supply unit. Try to replace it.