Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Overwrite Password Protected System

• Please log in to reply

jmccollum

jmccollum

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My husband got a computer from his work when they updated to newer ones--They where supposed to be wiped clean so we could just load another Windows etc on them and move on--We got it home and turned it on and it goes straight to a password protected screen and ask for a password to move on--I need to know what to do to WIPE everything off it WITHOUT being able to get any where and load a different windows program on this PC for my children to use--Its got Windows Prof. NT on it I believe--It starts up and says Windows is loading then says press Ctrl Alt Delete then goes to a password box and WONT go any where else. PLEASE help--KEEP in mind Im no computer expert so trying to do this some what easy-- Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
This issue is a touchy issue since while you might be legit, others can see this and use it for bad purposes.

If it is actually booting, you could use something like DBAN (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/), which can be used to wipe the disk. Then you can reload another operating system. You would need to make a floppy or CD and the machine needs to boot that before the harddisk.

If is a BIOS password, there are ways to reset that, although I don't know them, but perhaps others do. You might see if you can press "DEL" or "F2" (I think) to enter the CMOS settings (bios). What you need to press depends on the machine.

jmccollum

jmccollum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks I went to the web site SoureForge.net and downloaded the program but can not figure out HOW to copy to disk because I have Windows Media player on my pc to burn with and it says it wont open this file>?? Not sure what thats about So I will cont. to try to get it figured out... Also IT never loads to anything that says Windows--IT does say windows is loading then pops to a blue screen with a box in the middle--gives username and company and ask for password--I tried the F2 before coming on here and asking for help BUT for some reason it keeps saying Keyboard Not Found NOT sure what thats about?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Saying that "windows is loading" implies that it is reading from the disk and that it is not a BIOS passwd.

Have you tried installing a boot disk to reinstall the OS?

It looks like DBAN is just for floppies. I thought that there was a CD version. According to the web page, you just run the executable that you download and it will create the floppy for you.

http://sourceforge.n...?group_id=61951

You can also use other means, such as a Linux Live CD, but that is a bit more complicated.

It might not be the F2 key, it could be something else depending on who made the computer.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
DBAN has a CD version found HERE

Read the "readme" file on how to install/ run and burn as an ISO image found HERE

You can also try a boot disk and run FDISK from http://<strong class...span></strong>/

Either way you will have to boot from CD or floppy and will most likely have to get into the bios and set the order. Usually F2, esc, del. Read (usually) the lower left of the screen at bootup and it will tell you what to press.