Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find install folder for Battlefield 2

• Please log in to reply

bippen

bippen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!

I have tried to look all over the Internet for a solution to this problem, now GTG is my last hope!
I have downloaded the 1.41 Patch for Battlefield 2, but when I try to install it, I get this message
saying "Can't find install folder for Battlefield 2".

I tried a lot of stuff to fix it, including doing something to my registry, but all the fixes I found said
to do something in the following registry in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2™

My dir however is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DICE\Battlefield 2™

Don't know if that makes any difference, but it's the only difference I could find between my problem and other people's

So I've tried adding a "InstallDir" String value with the game's correct path, but it didn't help! Also the game's register entry
only contains one file called (Default) with no value added.

I've also tried to install the patch manually by copying files from a temp dir to another map and running it using "cmd".

Hope someone can help! Would be greatly appreciated!

Bippen :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
was this purchased from EA link, downloaded elsewhere, or a physical retail copy?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ROFLOL... I see you already posted here: http://bf2.totalgami...hread.php?t=932

two suggestions. follow the suggestions for modification, but apply them to your install location (dice). In otherwords create the new registry keys/value under that.

If that doesn't work, then create brand new key with the full path as given.

only other thought... you are trying to install the full 1.41 patch and not the incremental?

bippen

bippen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

ROFLOL... I see you already posted here: http://bf2.totalgami...hread.php?t=932

two suggestions. follow the suggestions for modification, but apply them to your install location (dice). In otherwords create the new registry keys/value under that.

If that doesn't work, then create brand new key with the full path as given.

only other thought... you are trying to install the full 1.41 patch and not the incremental?

Hehe :) Yeah, I've tried a few forums, but this seems the best, so... Kind of desperate to get playing :)

My game is a physical PCDVD bought in a real life store! :wave: Also I've installed the Special Forces.

I've tried to create the registry keys and the values under Dice, but it didn't work. Also the only other thing in the Dice Registry directory, was a file named "default" and with no values set.

So, could you tell me how to create everything that should be in there manually?
And also I don't know how to create a brand new key from the beginning.

The patch is the full one, 536 mb.

Trojan95

Trojan95

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did you ever figure this out? I haven't played in a year or two and decided to play again. I downloaded patch 1.41 and got the exact same error. I looked at the registry and it's the same as yours. What did you do to fix the problem?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Yeah did you ever get this fixed?

cdrbond007

cdrbond007

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I have the EXACT same problem as well :)

Rydell

Rydell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For all you Vista users, you need to add a data string to your registry. The Battlefield 2 Patch is not recognizing the directory to which it's installed and Vista isn't pointing it in the right direction. XP Users, this should work for you as well. To put the fix in your registry go to Run, type regedit, navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>Electronic Arts>EA Games>Battlefield 2". Now create a New String by right clicking in that directory, select "New String", name it "InstallDir" and in the Data put "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Battlefield 2" (or wherever you have it installed). Save it, verify everything is correct, and run the patch.

Edited by Rydell, 03 March 2009 - 06:50 PM.

justin52493

justin52493

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I might find it weird that people don't read whole threads about a topic they think they have knowledge about. Just because you read the title, doesn't mean you have the answer. I've read over 10 complaints about this issue so far and have found the same genius come along with the Registry fix. If you read, Idk, the first post; he already tried that. It didn't work. Now if someone else on here found that it was a solution, please come back and share with us your splendors.

I've renamed my files, changed the string thread and registry paths so the install wizard would recognize the file path. Almost ever thing I find doesn't work.
-I am running on XP
-I play new EA games so I have two folders from Crysis and BF2142, and the older EA games folder, and the new Electronic Arts folder.
-BF2[BF1942] is installed on the older EA games folder
-I come up with the error "can't find install folder for Battlefield2"
-I have tried copies from 3 sources for the patch.
1.EA download LINK
2.EA BF2 Download host site
3.Anonymous DL site.
If anyone could please leave a descriptive fix to the problem for all others seeking help, and myself, all time appreciated.

DeconFrost

DeconFrost

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I might find it weird that people don't read whole threads about a topic they think they have knowledge about. Just because you read the title, doesn't mean you have the answer. I've read over 10 complaints about this issue so far and have found the same genius come along with the Registry fix. If you read, Idk, the first post; he already tried that. It didn't work. Now if someone else on here found that it was a solution, please come back and share with us your splendors.

I've renamed my files, changed the string thread and registry paths so the install wizard would recognize the file path. Almost ever thing I find doesn't work.
-I am running on XP
-I play new EA games so I have two folders from Crysis and BF2142, and the older EA games folder, and the new Electronic Arts folder.
-BF2[BF1942] is installed on the older EA games folder
-I come up with the error "can't find install folder for Battlefield2"
-I have tried copies from 3 sources for the patch.
1.EA download LINK
2.EA BF2 Download host site
3.Anonymous DL site.
If anyone could please leave a descriptive fix to the problem for all others seeking help, and myself, all time appreciated.

I think that is the issue.... you tried a whole lot of shite, and after that you tryed the registry mod.... That didnt work.

I Only did the Registry Mod and it worked perfect for me.
(if it works for a lot of peeps, and it dosntfor you, than you have a special case... like other software, no updates... other drivers.. branded OS... )

RYDELL THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

doom11

doom11

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi i did the reg mod and it took the patch but did not seem to update bf2 im trying to load it onto a hp presario CQ50, on thing i noted was that when i was loading bf2 the setup seemed to terminate early, i had to load direct x seperatly, HELP HELP

AndrewDotCom

AndrewDotCom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks alot Rydell!

This was a great first impression on GTG.
I joined just now to thank you and because GTG forums have really helped me in the past.

:)

Bryan_Jovi

Bryan_Jovi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
@ Rydell,

i cant find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>Electronic Arts>EA Games>Battlefield 2
mine's located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Electronic Arts>EA Games>Battlefield 2

what am i suppose to do?

CH1EF

CH1EF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I FOUND THE FIX

Can't find install folder for Battlefield 2 (Credits: Leki)
This is caused by a problem with a registry entry, which contains the location of your Battlefield 2 installation.

1. Go to Start>Run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes).
2. Go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2
3. Right click on the right hand window and go to New>String Value
4. Type in 'InstallDir' (without quotes) for the string name.
5. Double click it. For the 'Value data', enter wherever you installed Battlefield 2 (eg. D:\GAMES\Battlefield 2). Note, DON'T put a backslash (\) at the end.

and it worked for me, this was taken from
http://www.electroni...d2/thread/8176/
under Troubleshooting iii)
cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan_Jovi

Bryan_Jovi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
hope that works :)