Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find install folder for Battlefield 2

• Please log in to reply

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I CANNOT LOCATE regeditor not with the little search thing or run doesnt find it either. PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

For all you Vista users, you need to add a data string to your registry. The Battlefield 2 Patch is not recognizing the directory to which it's installed and Vista isn't pointing it in the right direction. XP Users, this should work for you as well. To put the fix in your registry go to Run, type regedit, navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>Electronic Arts>EA Games>Battlefield 2". Now create a New String by right clicking in that directory, select "New String", name it "InstallDir" and in the Data put "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Battlefield 2" (or wherever you have it installed). Save it, verify everything is correct, and run the patch.

ok so i cant run reg editor, (i cant on someone else's computer but not this one) basically for some reason it doesnt exist. where can i find it? do i have to download it? i do have vista of course

Masteraceman1234567

Masteraceman1234567

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Champ!!! ;)

I got this error and by perusing this forum was able to fix it, though when I reinstalled BF2 it didnt even create an installation directory entry in Registry. However, I was able to sort of figure it out *IQ 160 tested as a kid*, create the string and using you guys smarts, it installed Patch 1.41 the first try. Now to see if it works... :D

Masteraceman1234567

Masteraceman1234567

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Type REGEDIT in a Run box. :D

Guys be SUPER careful adding skins or in my latest case that BF2 Tweaker program, it wont let me connect to my fave servers so total reinstall was only option.

Edited by Masteraceman1234567, 19 January 2011 - 11:11 AM.

ehavKILLER

ehavKILLER

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im having the same prob with the patches

ok guys u know how ur saying its suppose to be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>Electronic Arts>EA Games>Battlefield 2

when i go to mine it says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>Electronic Arts>Battlefield bad company 2. also under the electronic arts folder there are EA core and Electronic Arts and when i even open thos folders i dont see EA GAMES. i guess thats why the patch is not finding it. and i cant even copy one of thos folders and make a EA GAMES folder then paste the Battlefield files under there.

So i was wondering if anyone got any suggestions for me and what i can do so i can get this patch on battlefield going and start playing

rolandoho1234

rolandoho1234

• Pip
  • 1 posts
follow Rydell's post, because it was very useful. And in your case rename your dice folder to "Electronic Arts", then create another folder under it and name it to "EA Games" and finally create a last folder named "Battlefield 2" and after that follow Rydell's post in creating the string,

Note: the names of the folders might not be accurate here, i suggest to copy the folder name of your posts for more accurate results
hope this helped