Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable internet via application

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't jump to conclusions here, I'm not trying to disable someones internet connection from a remote location :)

Recently my brother has been using the internet for MSN till 2a.m., I never knew about this till my parents approached me regarding the issue today. They want to purchase a program that would physically shut down the computer at 12a.m. every night, so I will do the next best thing disable the internet (if such a program exists). I don't believe such software exists and know that there is software out there that can disable the internet, called granny or something of the sort. Basically what I want to know is, does anyone have any personal experience with any of these programs or would like to share a free program or paid, doesn't matter to them, they just want the job done.

Also, while I doubt this, I'm frequently on my computer in the basement till 2a.m. doing homework and because I need the internet for research for university projects I will obviously need the internet, while the top floor will have none (though I'm sure if the application was on that computer, the internet disabling should be isolated to that comptuer). I don't have acces to the family computer ever since I have bought my own, so I'm unsure if XP comes with a feature like this. I use vista so I cannot explore this possibility.

Can anyone enlighten me on some applications that can do this? Free or paid doesn't make a difference here.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 September 2007 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might check out some of these programs to see if they might do what you want: Google Search: Parental Control Software

Ron

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can make a shortcut to Shut Down and put it in Task Scheduler.

However bear in mind this will not circumvent your brother simply flicking the power switch on again after shut-down or simply purging the Task Scheduler entry if he knows what he's doing. You need something stronger, preferably a parental control solution.

Having said that, if this is the family computer we are talking about, and your brother is younger than you (school age?) then maybe another solution would be to move it into a more prominent location, shut the system down at whatever time and take away the power leads. Since computers don't run on thin air, this would be a cheaper if more inconvenient method of doing virtually the same job.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thanx for the suggestions guys, Major Payne i have found multiple parental control programs but nothing exactly what I'm looking for. Also was curious if anyone on the board had any such experience with any of them. Also, I want a program that cannot be easily "hacked" into.

However bear in mind this will not circumvent your brother simply flicking the power switch on again after shut-down or simply purging the Task Scheduler entry if he knows what he's doing. You need something stronger, preferably a parental control solution.

Yeah thought of this but like you said, press the power button and your ready to go again. But he's not very good with computer (no one in my family is).

Having said that, if this is the family computer we are talking about, and your brother is younger than you (school age?) then maybe another solution would be to move it into a more prominent location, shut the system down at whatever time and take away the power leads. Since computers don't run on thin air, this would be a cheaper if more inconvenient method of doing virtually the same job.

Yeah my brother is two years younger then me, still in school. Moving it isn't really an option and my parents are in bed at 10, so physically coming to shut it down wouldn't be an option for them. Also, I don't really want to get into this any more then I am, so I'm not going to do it:P

Basically all he uses the computer for is MSN, cut the internet and he'll come off the computer. Going to go to futureshop (canada's bestbuy) today and see what they got, hopefully something popups on the shelve that I like.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 September 2007 - 10:55 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I would be inclined to argue if your brother's up half the night and is too tired for school the next day, then that's his problem and he should go to bed sooner. A few early morning shakes and "get up!" seems to drum the message home, if he's late for school due to being up all night and tired in the morning, then leave him to suffer the knock-on effects. I wouldn't get involved, just suggest your parents bring the wake-up call an hour or so earlier, he'll soon cotton on :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I would be inclined to argue if your brother's up half the night and is too tired for school the next day, then that's his problem and he should go to bed sooner. A few early morning shakes and "get up!" seems to drum the message home, if he's late for school due to being up all night and tired in the morning, then leave him to suffer the knock-on effects. I wouldn't get involved, just suggest your parents bring the wake-up call an hour or so earlier, he'll soon cotton on :)

My parents are getting me involved, he wakes them up every night when he goes to bed and he's barely passing school and doesn't care.
James

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
actually, a lot of routers now days support parental control features. It allows you to assign (via mac address) usage times and so forth. I know if you have a linksys wrt54g router, then you can do this. Even if you do and it doesn't have it, the firmware can be updated.

www.dd-wrt.com/

This is what I use. I am very happy with the security features it supports.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

actually, a lot of routers now days support parental control features. It allows you to assign (via mac address) usage times and so forth. I know if you have a linksys wrt54g router, then you can do this. Even if you do and it doesn't have it, the firmware can be updated.

www.dd-wrt.com/

This is what I use. I am very happy with the security features it supports.

The problem is, I need the internet after 12, I'm usually doing homework till 2 a.m. So unless I'm wrong this would cut me off as well. Correct?
I think the only possibility is some kind of software but I never got a chance to look this weekend and it could be a while since my sports are about to begin.
Should have never taken a full course load :)
James

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
nope. you assign permissions based on the individual system. It either uses the mac address, you a sign on id/password. I know several people who do this. For example:

He is able to surf unrestricted. His two sons can not surf the net after 8:00pm mon-thurs. Eleven oclock on weekends. He is able to change that easily if something special happens or as a reward.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hmm, thanx I'll take a look into this.
James