Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk in Drive E is Not Formatted Would You Like to Format It Now

• Please log in to reply

TheQuij

TheQuij

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
When I plugged in my Seagate 160 GB external HD today, the power light on the enclosure began to blink on and off. The computer detected the drive, but when I tried to view data on the disk, an error message appeared saying "The disk in drive E: is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?"

No information appears on the left-hand column when I click on Drive E:, and thus, it has become apparent that the data has become corrupt or unreadable for some reason of which I am unaware. Clearly I would not necessarily enjoy losing all of the data on my hard drive, :) so I need to find some way to either recover or repair these files to their previous state.

Does anybody have an ideas as to how I might be able to do so?

Thanks,

TheQuij

(Woops, I guess my topic name was too long.)

Edited by TheQuij, 29 September 2007 - 10:15 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, two questions then, does the same thing happen when you try the drive on another computer, and can one still see the data under a liveCD like knoppix linux, thanks

Edited by fleamailman, 29 September 2007 - 11:19 PM.

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for the response!

After checking with another computer, the hard drive still appears to be unreadable. I do not use any sort of Live CD.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you try running chkdsk on that drive?

press start , then run, then type "chkdsk E: /r /f" (without the quotes) and press the ok button...report any errors

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I was unable to even start the Check Disk Utility. Running caused an error to occur and the program to close. Do you want me to send the error report?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes if you can

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I am unaware of how to save an error report as a text file. Is the attached file a suitable report?

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by TheQuij, 12 October 2007 - 03:27 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I had this happen to me on a SDcard and also on a external Drive.

This can sometimes happen if the drive is not safely removed from the computer.

Admin made a good post back in 2004 of some programs that might help you get your data back. Some of these links may or may not work due to the post was made back in 2004.

http://www.geekstogo...overy-t386.html

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thank you very much!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Just wondering what tool did you use, And how well did it work?

Advertisements

TheQuij

TheQuij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
PC Inspector is definitely capable of recovering the files. My only question is: where should I put them? My computer's HD has a capacity 40 GB, so I can't very well store all of them on there. Also, do you think the external HD will still be usable? Is there any way I could recover and save the data back onto the same external hard drive so that it may become readable again?

Essentially, can I still use my old external HD, or do I need to buy a new one?

Edited by TheQuij, 12 October 2007 - 10:30 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
TheQuij,

Yes I think your Hard Drive is still usable however its partitioning table is probably messed up so it will need to be repartitioned(by formating it). One of those tools listed on the link I gave you may be able to fix that without formating. However I would still put your data somewhere else just in case. Data recovery is not a 100% guaranteed process. You can put them on something like a CD or another external Hard drive if you have one.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

can you try running chkdsk on that drive?

press start , then run, then type "chkdsk E: /r /f" (without the quotes) and press the ok button...report any errors

dsenette-

I wanted to "publicly" thank you for this answer. I too got the "would you like to reformat" message. I knew better from a Google search. I had Spinrite but never used it. I took the drive out of my machine and just kept it in a safe place. It's drive letter had disappeared before I removed it too. I couldn't afford a commercial program and didn't trust free ones at the time-five years ago. A data retrieval service-nah. Or have some place charge me a bench fee-for something I could have (and did) done myself.Today-in an hour I get out of the XP "dark ages" and move up to 7. I know it's not the newest-baby steps!! Last night I googled the exact error message and found this site/post. There seems to be no limit to the suggestions on here. This one worked for me-sorry for bumping this old post-but again thank you!!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Would like to add my 2 cents!!The complete syntax for Check Disk is as follows: I don't think it's necessary to have both /f and /r???
CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]]

The options and switches for Check Disk are used as follows:
volume Sets the volume to work with
path/filename Specifies files to check for fragmentation (FAT16 and FAT32 only)
/F Fixes errors on the disk
/V Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk (FAT16 and FAT32); displays cleanup messages if any (NTFS)
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary (implies /F)
/I Performs a minimum check of index entries (NTFS only)
/C Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure (NTFS only)
/L:size Sets the log file size (NTFS only)
/B Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume (NTFS only; implies /R)

laurasue

laurasue

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I can't format my drive E. How can I do this, i have windows 10.  I used to do it on windows 7. Thank you