Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop suddenly freezes partially, very often

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Before I list the situation in as much detail as I can, I will list the specifications of the concerned system :

Sony Vaio PCG-K115M (with newer - installed long ago - hardware parts : 100GB HDD and 1GB of RAM)

Now, onto the problem itself, it's quite weird, but astonishingly tiring, so if anyone has any idea I'd be glad to hear it :

Let me explain what I mean by partial freezing. When this happens, there are two levels of freezing :
*in the first one the bottom windows taskbar is completely blocked (you can't click on start, nor on any quicklink application -the mouse over doesn't work neither- nor on anything in the systray) though you can use the windows key on the keyboard and move with the arrows, but the application you're using at the moment works and you can alt+tab.
*in the second one the program window suddenly blocks as well, and you can see from the difference in color at the top that the program seems to not be the currently selected window, though the taskbar says so. You can't click on anything.

The only way of solving this problem is by clicking ctrl alt del, and closing the ctrl alt del (not a program) window by clicking on the X. It would be fine if it didn't happen so often. Like sometimes every 5 minutes...What could this be?

The only thing that can be used forever, even while freezing, is clicking on something on the desktop. But the programs opened this way behave in the same way when freezing time comes.

I've tried System Restore, and it does not want to restore (well it does restart, show itself working, but when it reaches windows again it says it couldn't restore the system to that restore point).

My Windows CD (which came with the laptop, and which has different programs on as well) does not work anymore because i had to change the hdd after it broke physically, twice...(thanks goodness the second time around i had guarantee and didn't have to pay) so I haven't managed to try the windows repair thingy.

So, can anyone help me? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Sounds like you might have a process trying to run in the background. Can you get to task manager and the process tab when this happens and see if there is 1 that is spiking? Or leave it up and watch it?

Also look at your msconfig for odd programs. You could also have a program trying to do an update (but can't for whatever reason). Such as an updater for virus/ adobe, etc.