Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do destroy a memord card and a phone

• Please log in to reply

hellodave123

hellodave123

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello. I've got a mobile phone, and two memory cards that i need to destroy, in a manor as to make the data never readable. With one of the memory cards ive pulled it apart, cracked the chips inside it, but i think itll still be readable by pro's. The other memory card is in tact, hopefully waiting for your advice.

How do i completely destroy memory cards and mobile phones so that data on them is impossible to retain?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A big magnet will do. A big hammer to smash it.
I don't know if DBAN will work on a memory card. Never tried it

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
WHY?

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
im with starjax here

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I was tempted to ask the same thing, Why? Camera can be donated, and you can always use memory cards. I just figured, why question what people do. Especially this.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Why is a good question - I'd like to know too! But a big hammer should do the trick And some scissors, see if you can snip things up (like a credit card you want to destroy). 123Runner, what camera are you talking about?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Long day! Sorry mobile phone.

Notice that the original poster has not responded?

hellodave123

hellodave123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
VERY SORRY FOR NOT REPLYING, I've been away out of town. On the phone's memory, and the memory card is data i don't want to be accessible by ANY means, not even the greatest most advanced means. Now the memory cards ive crushed into many pieces and discarded, which whilst still readable, i don't think anyone will ever try.

The phones are where I'm stuck. How do i make the phone memory and the data that was previously on it, completely unreachable? If i just completely obliterate the phone with a hammer and pliers etc, will that do the job or not?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I would also ask, why? If it's adult stuff or something silly like that, then why bother destroying it? I'm guessing you have some sort of material/business plan/bright idea on there you going to copyright and make money out of, am i right? :)

I saw a PC Format once where they did a test to see if they could recover data from a HDD that was dropped, soaked in water and then hammered to shreds, and they still got data from it because some of the discs ([cylinders] not sure what to call them) were still fine. As for the phone, a phone stors everything on the eeprom which is 6/10 the biggest chip on the phone thesedays glued on with small balls of solder underneath. just destroy that and i am sure no one is going to dig in the rubbish, pick up all your shreds and try fixing them :/ you're a bit to paranoid for your own good here mate.

hellodave123

hellodave123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
THis large chip is it one of the black things? If so its proving extremely hard to break. I have the green circuit board thing exposed in front of me, and the stuff on its proving hard to destroy, even with pliers, a hammer and a few other random things.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
And I'm sure you are also aware that some of the data you are trying to destroy resides at the phone company that provided service for that phone?
Johanna

hellodave123

hellodave123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No im not aware of the above, hows that work?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
muhahaaha Johanna, you've just thrown a whole new spanner into the works. LOL. This might end up being a mighty long thread with the user going to the phone company and smashing their servers :)

hellodave123

hellodave123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well the phones and memory cards are no longer, i even sneakily disguised the pieces in many layers of common household waste. I'd appreciate someone explaining to me the above couple posts please.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I think what Johanna meant was that the data that comes to the phone first goes through your service provider. i.e. you send sms > goes to service provider (e.g. vodaphone) > goes to recepiant [scuse the spelling].