Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator

• Please log in to reply

lonestaryankee

lonestaryankee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The problem I'm having doesn't seem to be virus/malware related; I've scanned my system thoroughly and have come up clean every time. That said, my problem is such -- when in Windows XP folders there is a TOOLS feature at the top; within it is supposed to be an OPTIONS command that would allow me to customize my folders within XP. However, there is NOT. What is there follows:

Map Network Drive...
Disconnect Network Drive...
Synchronize...

...and nothing else. Moreover, when I tried to edit my registry via REGEDIT -- thinking I might need to edit the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer] Key by changing NoFolderOptions from 1 to 0 -- I received the message "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator." I've checked out the usual problems; User Account settings, Security Settings, etc, as well as looking all over the Net for a solution, however all solutions I've come upon seem to be virus/malware related, and like I said already, I don't believe I'm infected. In fact I suspect that I might have accidentally locked myself out somehow given I have nearly full administrator privileges but cannot edit my registry or view any TOOL features other than those listed above. :)

Is there anybody out there that's encountered this problem before and can offer a solution? A script that may may allow me access again? As well, it should be known, I have no access to my XP discs as I'm currently in Baghdad (just another Joe doing a second tour of duty for Uncle Sam), so any ideas requiring my XP discs or reformatting is out of the question. Otherwise I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance....

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,673 posts
Hi lonestaryankee,

Below is a method to run a script that was written to remove a lot of viruses that disable TaskManager, Regedit and lot of other options a user might need to regain control over his computer.
It also rests the default values for these options.
If you are not infected there should be no harm to your computer and it would give you back control.

Download Brute Force Uninstaller to your desktop.
  • Right click the BFU folder on your desktop, and choose Extract All
  • Click "Next"
  • In the box to choose where to extract the files to,
  • Click "Browse"
  • Click on the + sign next to "My Computer"
  • Click on "Local Disk (C: ) or whatever your primary drive is
  • Click "Make New Folder"
  • Type in BFU
  • Click "Next", and Uncheck the "Show Extracted Files" box and then click "Finish".
RIGHT-CLICK HERE and choose "Save As" (in IE it's "Save Target As") in order to download Coolpics Remover.
Save it in the same folder you made earlier (c:\BFU).

Then, please go to Start > My Computer and navigate to the C:\BFU folder.
  • Start the Brute Force Uninstaller by doubleclicking BFU.exe
  • Behind the scriptline to execute field click the folder icon Posted Image and select coolpics.bfu
  • Press Execute and let it do its job. (You ought to see a progress bar if you did this correctly.)
  • Wait for the complete script execution box to pop up and press OK.
  • Press exit to terminate the BFU program.
Reboot your computer and check if it worked.

If it does work I would still advise to run a full system scan for viruses as soon as possible.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Remove restrictions tool: http://majorgeeks.co...Tool_d5635.html

lonestaryankee

lonestaryankee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks guys for your prompt suggestions. In the interest of time (and ease) I exercised 1101doc's suggestion and it worked like a charm! In under a second my PC had Registry Editing and Folder Options back! I scarcely believed it could be so easy. Thank you sooo much Doc (and you too Metallica, for taking the time to offer your own solution). :)

Ne0

Ne0

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello lonestaryankee,

Though you believe you're not infected but I am 100% sure that you are or were either infected with a virus. The name of virus is Brontok/Rontkbr. You need to download its removal from any anti-virus site. Once you are completely disinfected you will be able to open registry. Though you will have to edit "gpedit.msc" to get Folder Options back. First download removal and get completely disinfected and I'll guide you further. Trust me on this mate.. you are infected and this is really annoying virus. Get rid of it ASAP.

Cheers,
Regards :)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Gotta agree with Ne0. This sort of thing really only happens with malware. Do a complete malware removal procedure. Be sure. Very sure. These guys come back from the dead.

lonestaryankee

lonestaryankee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay Ne0, assuming you're right, where can I get this Brontok/Rontkbr removal tool? Are you aware whether Symantec offers one or not? As well, why would I have to edit "gpedit.msc" when 1101doc's suggested tool worked like a charm? In fact, when I lost Alt-Cntl-Del functionality earlier today (later in the day, after my last post) I just used his tool again and had it back again in under a second. So, tell me again why I need to edit that file? Also, for the record, I've updated all my anti-virus definitions earlier today, and scanned my computer twice for both viruses and adware/malware, but have come up clean both times. So unless Nortons/Zone Alarm is mistaken, I'm clean.

lonestaryankee

lonestaryankee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
1101doc, your message just came in as I was posting my own to Ne0. No matter, if you and Ne0 are correct, then what would you suggest? My own tools (NAV & Zone Alarm) caught a Trojan earlier today (not the one Ne0 mentioned though), but it was only a Medium threat, and was easily deleted. Do either of you have some superduper tool that goes above and beyond NAV or Zone Alarm, and if so, where do I get a copy?

lonestaryankee

lonestaryankee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay guys. just an FYI ... I took Metallica up on his recommended solution and downloaded BFU and the said script. I ran it, though I don't know what (if anything) it did. Somebody care to explain what BFU jsut did, or what I was supposed to have seen/experienced if there were still a problem?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
BFU ran the downloaded script and removed everything that the script described.
I would also follow the steps described here: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Then post a HiJackThis log here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Please do not put HJT logs anywhere else in the forum. It simply confuses and delays.
If you like, PM Ne0 a link to the log so that you can get his input as well.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

Edited by 1101doc, 01 October 2007 - 03:27 PM.

Ne0

Ne0

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys...

Sorry for replying too late...
So tell me lonestaryankee have you overcame the problem ??
You can download the removal tool from Symantec's site. Or you can just google it and you will surely find it. There are certain changes made in the registry and so this virus won't allow you to modify the registry. Moreover if you are affected by the virus I mentioned it has changed explorer.exe too. It has made replica of explorer.exe with some name like explorassi.exe or something and it is getting loaded everytime you boot your PC. You just keep you calm. Don't panic. Just follow few steps I am mentioning and I hope you will get through it.
First of all download the removal tool and see if you are affected with the virus or not.
Go to Start->Run and type in cmd. If possible please send me list of files both checked and unchecked. Also the path from where it is getting originated.
These viruses and malwares keeps on coming with different names so it is possible that you might get a different name but the effects are more or less the same. And i do agree with 1101doc completely as these malwares realy come back from the dead. So you have to be sure that you are not infected.

If you are able to access certain things means you are clean but the damages virus have done aren't undone yet. And for that I told you, you have to access "gpedit.msc". Don't be afraid of editing that file. If anything happens don't worry..I am here to help.

Do tell me what is your current status and are you still having the same problem. And if you are very much annoyed with the virus problem catch me on yahoo or gtalk. I'll be available there.

lonestaryankee

lonestaryankee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neo/1101doc... sorry 'bout my belated reply. We moved from Iraq to Kuwait this last week (half-way home) and lost any internet access we had at our last installation. I'm finally plugged in (at $5/hour though ... grrr) and just now getting around to my email.

Anywho, in short, since last week I've had absolutely NO problems. Not a one. Doc, I tried downloading the software you suggested; for whatever reason I couldn't do so from where I'm at so I gave up. It doesn't seem to matter though; I've had full functionality for over a week. In fact, like I'd previously mentioned, I've been error-free since Doc recommend the "Remove restrictions tool."

So, if you care to mark this case as 'resolved,' I believe it's safe to do so. If I experience any new problems I'll be sure to notify the moderator.

TTY guys again once I'm back in Europe. 'Til then... :)