Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do not like windows vista

• Please log in to reply

old momma

old momma

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I just bought a new computer a couple of hours ago, and it has vista on it. I do not like the vista
can i put my windows xp pro on the new computer?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As long as the version of XP you are wanting to put on is Retail and NOT OEM or came with another system and not currently being used on any other system, yes you can.

Make sure there are XP drivers available as many manufacturers are using new hardware that is Vista compatible only.

Also be aware, you would probably be voiding the warranty on a brand new system. Not sure that is something you want.

Murray

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yes, I would certainly wait until the warranty period has expired or call the manufacturer to see if what you want to do will void the warranty. Micro$oft is allowing some manufacturers to ship certain new computers with Win XP. Since you have a new one already, check and see if they will provide a new Win XP CD.

You might want to work with Vista a while longer. It might grow on you... like a fungus! :) Lots of lawsuits are being generated against M$ because of their way of handling Vista.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 30 September 2007 - 09:35 PM.