Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Joining a windows domain

• Please log in to reply

ifty40

ifty40

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi i have active directory setup on the server with a domain name.

When i log in as an administrator on the workstations i cant seem to access the domain on the network, although i can ping to the network address of the server, but when trying to join it keeps saying domain cannot be found, or contacted

Why is it i can ping but cant access the domain? Also i can see the server on the network and access it. What must i do to enable the workstations to access this domain?

Thankyou

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It sounds like the dns server for the domain is not set up properly....what version of Windows Server do you have?

ifty40

ifty40

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi i have windows 2000 server. i have managed to add one computer to the domain ok and yes you was right it was dns problems, but when i add the second computer it says access is denied for some reason, but the account is the same as the one which logs in ok.
Why is it the server is denieing access to the domain?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what do you mean the account -- computer name or user account?

How did you make this second computer....you didn't by change do some sort of cloning/disk image, did you?