Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK I ran the diagnostics the windows version right now it's running, I didn't know which test to run so I ran them all.
Long DST- Fail, Short DST - Fail, Short Generic - Pass, Long Generic - Fail, Now did I do it right and what does it mean. I am having trouble with it freezing up now so I done good to keep it going long enough to run these test. Please tell me this means it's not my motherboard, Thank you. :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like the HDD is failing on you. I would think the motherboard is fine and replacing the HDD should get you back up and running.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
One more question please if I run the everest test will it actually tell me if there is anything wrong with my motherboard and if not is there a test that will, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
About the only way to find out what kind of shape the motherboard is in is by looking at the devices it controls...unless it is a very obvious mainboard problem like failing to power up with known good hardware.

About the only thing left that can cause the problem you describe would be bad RAM. You can test the RAM modules using the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Let it run for about an hour and see if it fails any tests during that time. If it does, you may have a bad module.

Your devices appear to be working pretty well other than the problem you describe...which could very well be caused by a bad HDD. As the HDD has failed several of the diagnostics using the manufacturer's tool, I would lean very heavily towards a bad HDD.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thank you so VERY much you just dont know what this means to me that maybe I can get it back working without spending a fortune, again THANK YOU.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome, kharley. :)

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok I went and bought a new HD formatted it and installed my windows, went to HP downloaded all the updated drivers it found for my system, done all of my windows updates but still getting the error on my mouse and floppy drive. I ran the Memtest86 for about 3 hours the other day and it passed about 4 times do you think I need to run it again or do you have any other suggestions, Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the HDD reporting the partitions size correctly now?

Please give me the exact errors you are getting for the mouse and floppy drive...screenshots work very well for this if you can. If not, just the exact wording on the errors will be fine.

If the memtest passed before, you should be fine.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes the partition is correct on the HD, The exact wording is mouse initialized with error underneath it, 2BO: Diskette drive A error. I am sorry but thats all it's says. Sense I dont feel to smart lately I have to ask I ran the everest software and when I looked at the power management properties it had current power source AC Line, Battery status no battery does that mean the new battery I put in is not working, or is that something else, Thank you.

Edited by kharley, 09 October 2007 - 12:12 AM.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Just to be on the safe side I ran the Memtest for 5 hours this morning I got 10 passes and no errors, thought it might be wise sense I replaced the HD, Thank you

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The battery Everest is referring to is for a laptop. As you are on a desktop machine, everest is telling you that you are on AC power and are not charging a battery.

Let's take the remaining errors on one at a time. First the mouse. What kind of mouse is it? Make and model number...this should be shown on the underside of the mouse.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
My mouse is a logitech marbel mouse usb,Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if you can find your mouse among those listed HERE. Download the software for it, install the software, and reboot.

Let me know if this eliminates the mouse error.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok I downloaded and ran the software but it didn't work, thank you.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I went to driveragent.com scanned and downloaded all the drivers it said I needed but it didn't fix this problem. the only one I downloaded and installed that still shows bad is for the modem. I checked the FAQ and it said that even if it still shows as bad driver that not to worry I have a good driver it's just not showing as good. How do I know if it's a good driver or not if it still shows bad and is my modem the culprit for these problems. I contacted the people at intel about a bios upgrade but they said I dont need an upgrade that I have the best one for my system. I was told to check my video card and my pci card but I dont know how or even if I really need to. I sure hope somebody has some idea what this very depressing thing can be i'm about to go crazy here, Thank you.