Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager. Are there any devices shown with a yellow ! or ? icon displayed next to them?

Download Everest Home Edition, install it, and run it. I'll ask you for some specific information from this application depending on how you answer the above question.

Advertisements

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I checked the device manager and there are no ! or ? next to anything, Thankyou.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I was just wondering if there is a way for me to test my power supply myself instead of paying somebody, Thank you. :) :)

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
kharley,

Sure is you can go out and get yourself a Power Supply Tester. Those usually run between 10-50 $ US. I would not only get one to test if the power supply is working but to make sure it puts out enough voltage.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Please is there a possibility that these problems are the power supply sense the errors on the mouse and floppy are still here even after replacing the HD, the time and date refuses to stay set I have to reset the time and date everytime I disconnect the power for any reason, Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

date refuses to stay set I have to reset the time and date everytime I disconnect the power

I sure wish you had mentioned this a little earlier. You need a new CMOS battery. It's the disk battery on the motherboard...and is what holds the BIOS settings when power is not applied to the machine.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am sorry but I just started having trouble with this about 3 days ago or I would have mentioned it, but what is a CMOS battery is that the same one I replaced, Thank you.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Kharley.

Are you using a portable or a desktop?

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am using a desktop, Thank you.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am sorry if I did something wrong but when I replaced the battery I put a post in here about replacing it, and I was not having trouble with the clock then. Thats one of the reasons I started asking about the power supply, but I am sorry for the confusion I caused, Thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is it possible that it's put in upside down? It should be + side up (facing you). Or that you got a bad battery?

Did you have any power surges or sudden outages before this all began?

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I had a couple power surges and a couple outages, where we live there is always power outages if the wind blows hard. I took the battery out to make sure I had it in right and I did but I bought 2 extra packs of battery's when I replaced it so to be sure I put a new one in but still the same thing, and I bought this pack at a different store Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Power surges and outages can damage just about any part of a machine, but is particularly tough on HDD's, motherboards, and processors. We already know the HDD was bad per the diagnostics that were run. The battery has been replaced and the HDD has been replaced...we can assume those are good for the moment.

The machine appears to post ok, but won't hold the settings in BIOS..this is odd after what's been done, but certainly not unheard of. It may be a bad trace in the motherboard on the lower half...hard to say, but things seem well at least past the North and South bridges which connect the processor to the memory functions. This would seem to indicate that the processor is likely not the problem. The RAM has been tested and passed...so that's not the problem, either.

That leaves the power supply and the motherboard. I've seen a bad power supply cause some strange problems, but never this one. I'm going to have to say that one or more of your power fluctuations may have damaged the motherboard.

In a situation such as yours, where you have constant power fluctuations, it would be a good idea to have your machine connected to a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) which is basically a battery that will level out the fluctuations and even give you time to shut down properly when the power goes completely out.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well does this mean I am going to have to replace the motherboard, and if so I am in trouble noone around here can get one for my system sense it's about 6 years old. The computer stores around here are sad I dont think they know as much as they think they do. I was sold a motherboard with him swearing it was the one for my computer but wasn't. I can look on ebay but I have no idea where to start, what exactly do I go by to buy another one, Thank you.

kharley

kharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
This might be a stupid question but is it a possibility that a modem could cause these problems, I have had some trouble with the modem I use not running programs I downloaded, I am just grasping at straws here, Thank you.

Edited by kharley, 18 October 2007 - 01:28 PM.