Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with saving, please help

• Please log in to reply

s_c

s_c

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Okay, I'm having a weird problem. I can't save anything, at first I thought the problem was with office but it is with everything.

My computer freezes every time I go to save. Someone please help. I keep restarting but it doesn't fix the problem.

This has never happened before.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. Follow the instructions, especially from the paragraph of Temporary Files and onwards.

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks so much for taking time out to help me.

I go rid of all of my temp files and restarted. I am still having the same problem =(

Whenever I go to save as, for any file (word, powerpoint, pictures, etc) it freezes and it won't let me select where I want to save, won't let me do anything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what version of office are you using?

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Dsenette

Office 2003 Professional Edition

But even when I go to pictures, it freezes up when I want to save

Thanks for your time

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up an office program (like word...doesn't matter which) and go to help, then click on detect and repair...check both boxes and press start...let that run till it's done...this will put office back to factory settings

does that clear up the problem?

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Okay, I just did that and I still have the same problem.

Another example of my problem: I cant even upload pictures onto myspace because it wont let me choose which place to "look in" Nothing happens when I click that down arrow, the list wont drop down. I hope this makes sense. I cant even press cancel because it freezes up.

Again, thanks for your time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system..

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
My computer came with XP on it, but I dont recall getting a CD with it.

Is there anything else I can do? =(

Thanks for your help

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have your Office cd? Uninstall from add/remove in the Control Panel, then reboot. Reinstall Office, and let us know if it worked. You won't lose currently saved files.
Johanna

s_c

s_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I uninstalled word and the problem still persists =(

Did I explain my problem clearly? I don't know if you all can accurately visualize my problem because its hard to explain.

This is not just a problem with word, it is with every single kind of file on my computer. For instance, if I open up a picture file and I press the disk picture that says "copy to" when you hoover over it.. The box will pop up, at the top it says "save in" however, it wont let me click that down arrow to choose where to save it. Also, it won't let me press cancel either it just freezes up.... So then I have to go to task manager to end the process to make it stop. Does this help ya'll out any with my problem?

I have no idea how this happened, but so far nothing is fixing it =(

Thanks for your time.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Here's my thought,

When you click on save, the PC is trying to find all possible places to save the document, e.g. CD Rom, All hard drives, even a flash drive if you have one. Now, something is making the pc freeze when you get to that stage, it could be a bad cd [your pc will 'read' the cd in the drive if you click on a box that options to save a document] Please tell us your pc specs so that we can see if you have more than 1 hard drive, or even something that could be causing this. Perhaps you plugged in a flash drive and forgot about it? I am not saying this is the problem, but it could be...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem looks like a corruption in wondows explorer. Some options are available:

1: System restore to a previous date, before the problem started (start > programs > accessories > system tools > system restore). This is the easyest options and you don't need a xp disk.

2: sfc /scannow as suggested before by dsennette.

3: Windows repair installation (a link to instructions in my signature below). Please be aware that xp repair iinstallation is not always successful and may end with the same, or other, problems.

4: System recovery. If your computer has xp preinstalled it might have a nondestructive recovery option.
For options 2 and 3 you must have a xp installation of the same version that is already installed. You may borrow a disk and use the product key of your installation. That's perfectly legal.

Option 4 is the only one that may give a recovery option without xp disk

For further assistance please write down the make and model of your computer.