Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.E. 6 Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Chris321

Chris321

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was trying to fix a problem with i.e. 6 I was having and came across instructions to install the ie.inf which made my problem worse. When I start i.e. 6 now it displays the msn.com website but if I try typing anything in the address bar it won't take me to a new website. I viewed the ie.inf file in notepad and it refers to ie4, guess I should of viewed it first. Does anyone know what I need to do to get it functioning again ? for now I'm going to try firefox.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For the following procedures you will need XP installation disk of the same version that is installed on the computer.

Insert the disk to the drive and click Exit when windows options show up. Click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. The computer will check missing and corrupted files and will replace them with the original files.

If this doesn't help you can try xp reair installation. Use the link in my signature for GeeksToGo xp repair guide.

A word of caution: Repair installation sometimes end with more problems then you started with. Had it been my computer I would start using Firefox and not perform the repair.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Problems with Internet Explorer can usually be caused by Add-ons (disable them from the Tools Menu) or upgrading to a newer version, in your case IE7.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP