Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I keep getting this windows update message to install Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1, but each time I try, it says that it failed.

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot001.jpg
  • ScreenShot002.jpg

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you go to the Update site, and review your history there should be some more information on why it is failing. Please post anything you find. Until then there is a KB555175 article and the link to directly download Windows Installer so you can try manually.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Nothing is working.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Did you go to the Windows Update page and look for the History to see what error it logged?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I don't know what you meant by that.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Go to Windows Update and install anything it says it needs to update. After any updates have been installed, on the left side under Options there is a link for Review Your Update History, click that and then you should see the failed install attempts. Click on the failed one and post what it says.

Thanks.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

I just installed IE 7, and restarted...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok, let me know what it says when you can get back in.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
When I get back in? I never got in, and it's saying that I can't

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Now that you have IE7 what error does it give you?

Advertisements

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I'm telling you that even though I have IE7 it gives me this page message.

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Adminsitrative Tools -> Event Viewer

On the left side select Application, on the right side, scroll through and see if you see anything with a red circle and an X. Double click on them and then if they are related to when you tried to install the update, post them here. Do the same thing for the System log.

Thanks.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Most of these are repeated several times, due to me trying to install them several times.

MsiInstaller:
Product: Windows Defender -- Windows Defender requires Windows Installer 3.1 or later. To view a list of all installation requirements, visit the Microsoft website: http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=63848

Windows Installer 3.1:
Windows Installer Hotfix KB893803v2 installation failed.
KB893803v2 installation did not complete.

Windows Installer 3.1:
Windows Installer KB893803v2 installation failed.
Access is denied.

Windows Update Agent:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070005: Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Check out this KB Article

Try the steps in the resolution.

Also is this a valid copy of XP and has it passed the windows genuine validation tool yet?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Yep, it's valid.