Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wonderful shutdown on linux

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, if you are new to linux, there are lots little goodies that linux does, one of these is to offer you the choice of what you want the computer to do when you close the lid of the laptop, not just lock screen, suspend, hibenate or do nothing but even and I use it a lot "shutdown", yes I close the lid and it shuts down the system, um it took me about a year to find out that this os does this so if anyone else notices a cool trick that linux does please spill beans than, thanks

Edited by fleamailman, 01 October 2007 - 05:12 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may have noticed that on a desktop when you push the on button to shut down it doesn't just wait four seconds and basically crash. It begins an orderly shutdown process which saves all the data. So if your other methods of shutdown via the desktop fail you can still make a safe shutdown.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks, I also noticed that often if it just stops all of a sudden through lack of enery, it saves exactly where I left off, with the same windows I left open open when I restore sestion

Edited by fleamailman, 01 October 2007 - 03:46 PM.