Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot power up PC

• Please log in to reply

rkmprim

rkmprim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. My friend is rebuilding a PC and has changed out a few hardware items. Following is a list of his current hardware:

Asus board - P5VD2-SE
Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz CPU (Socket 775)
HDD is Western Digital
Spire Quadroflow V (Socket 775) heatsink & fan
512 MB of Kingston DDR2 RAM
Has a 500W PSU (unsure of brand)

When he first installed these components, the machine fired up and ran fine for several minutes at which time it froze itself up. He rebooted and thereafter, when the power is turned on to the PC, it will activate the CPU fan for a few seconds and that's it - the fan stops and nothing else happens. At all times, the green light on the mobo remains lit. We changed out the PSU and the problem persisted. We exchanged the mobo, but still no luck. Everything seems to be connected correctly, and the fact that the machine started and ran for a few minutes initially is quite puzzling to us. I hope I'm being descriptive enough with the symptoms, but I will do my best to answer any further questions any of you may have.

Thanks so much in advance for all your assistance.

-R

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Before you applied power did all chips have their heatsinks and fans on them and seated correctly, especially the cpu?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The motherboard is fried most likely. I had the exact same problem and the thing is that the PSU is also dead. When the PSU dies it takes the motherboard also. You must get both of them replaced. One way to test if the PSU is still alive is by connecting the Green and Black wires of the 20+4 Mobo connector with a piece of loose wire and if you switch on the power and nothing happens then indeed its dead.

Soorena