Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problems, something about ports...

• Please log in to reply

XPforever

XPforever

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i really need help with this, i am a newbie to this site.
ok a few months ago i got a virus. i did an xp repair
i reinstalled windoes, the virus was gone, but all my program files were there.
when my sbc yahoo cd tested the connection, it didnt find one. i use GB lan port thingy.
it worked before i got the virus. somehow it screwed my internet settings.
i went to the port menu thing and i uninstalled and reinstalled port 2 and 3 and they have an error saying
the device cannot start. it seems the repair didnt completely repair...
i also heard you need LPT1 to get an internet connection going. i use SBC yahoo DSL.
i really really need my internet back so help ASAP. i need the fastest and easiest way of fixing this.
i am willingto do a restore to factory settings too.

Edited by XPforever, 01 October 2007 - 01:50 PM.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi XPforever.

There is usually no "quick fix" to be had. You have to figure out for yourself what is wrong.

Apparently you did a XP "Repair Install". This reinstalls some of XP's files but leaves the Registry, user settings, your added files and installed programs untouched. The repair install did not make your internet connection go away - the infection did.

The driver for your networking chip or card may have been corrupted. You need to identify it by make and model, go to the manufacturer's web site, download the latest driver for it and reinstall the driver.

If you have the motherboard's driver disc CD you can reinstall it from there. Plugin cards usually have their own driver install utility that is shipped with them.

The infection may have damaged your XP installation and you may be forced to do a disk wipe and a full XP install.

XPforever

XPforever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
my god, thank you i have been on bleepingcomputer.com, pchelpforum, and no replys from them.
but finnaly...found the driver disc. says nothing about Gigabit lan but i did find a nivida networking controller driver.
com 3 still says device cannot start.
that driver must not have been right.

Edited by XPforever, 02 October 2007 - 03:25 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
LTP1 is to print to a printer. It has no bearing whatsoever on any Internet connection.
COM3 is a (virtual) port usually used to get on the Internet via dial-up (over the telephone line).

If you're willing to use system restore to reset the system to factory settings, then I'd do that. Obviously you'd lose everything on the machine but it should work again on the Internet.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi XPforever.

I'm really surprised BleepingComputer didn't get back to you. I monitor the XP forum very closely, but don't remember your post there.

You should try reinstalling the networking driver BEFORE doing a reinstall. A Reinstall/Restore is the last ditch method to be used when every other possible fix doesn't work. I have lots of networking fixes up my sleeve.

What is the make & model of your PC ?