Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with Active X

• Please log in to reply

So Cal Kramer

So Cal Kramer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, my internet access was turned off and my computer put on quarentine by my internet provider. during the time i was supposed to update my anti-virus software (which is norton), i had to install a math program for my math class. one of the requirements was to turn off my anti-virus software to install the math program. now i can't turn my anti-virus (norton) back on becuase it says that my active x/security settings won't allow the page to display correctly. i've been messing around with the active x controls but nothing seems to help, granted i don't even know how active x works. i'm without internet at home, please help!

Edited by So Cal Kramer, 15 April 2005 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
IN IE, go to TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS< and change the Security and Privacy settings to default

So Cal Kramer

So Cal Kramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i've already tried resetting active x controls to defualt. nothing happens. i still get the same message.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in addition to the AV program, do you have any internet security programs running

So Cal Kramer

So Cal Kramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no other internet security progams running on my computer that i know of. the only other security thing i have is called ad-ware.

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I suggest that you fully uninstall Norton, and if you want to reinstall it. Although I personally don't recommend it since I don't like that program.

If you're looking for another (free!) anti-virus program, try Avast anti-virus, it's been very reliable for me. Once you've done this, run a full virus scan to check for viruses, and find the problem - your ISP won't quarantine you for no reason.

So Cal Kramer

So Cal Kramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks, i'll try and unistall norton. what do you think about mcafee?

So Cal Kramer

So Cal Kramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok so i uninstalled Norton and then i tired to reinstall it but the reinstallation didn't work. now i'm online right now trying to find some other ani-virus software to order since this is a public computer...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
he mentioned avast, and avg is another freebie.

The bigger question is why norton did not reinstall? Error message?

So Cal Kramer

So Cal Kramer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i can't download anything on the computers that i log onto because the comupters arn't mine. and they don't have cd burners co i can't download the anti-virus programs to a cd.

the reinstallation of norton didn't work because it wouldn't finish downloading from the cd on my computer. it just stops and says "error 110". then i took the cd out and it had what looked to be the remains of a sticker substance on the back...i'm just finishing cleaning it now...