Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! My Maxtor Crashed...

• Please log in to reply

Faux Panda

Faux Panda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone...sorry this is my 'first post' but I am in a major bind...

My Maxtor Diamond Max 10 (100gb external) Hard drive crashed this morning...or did it...i dont know...

Last Nite..i went to bed, as my laptop put a new version of XP on my laptop hard drive...the Maxtor was plugged in still, the USB drive...

I wake up, and i go to get into my external drive, but its not under My Computer...just the C: drive is...

I look and make sure its plugged in, and it is...i unplug it and plug it back in...the laptop is picking it up, but not showing the drive...i took it to 3 other computers...same thing...took it out of the casing, and plugged it into a tower...same thing...

This is packed with over 7 years of pictures, videos, and music...it was pretty much everything i own of worth...

Does anyone here know what to do to fix it, or is there a way to test it to make sure everything is still there?

Thanks!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if it is an encloser that can be taken apart you could try putting the drive into desktop computer and see if it sees it and works.... if not and the computer sees but doesn't assign a letter that usually means that it can't see the partition... in that case you would want to use recovery software like getdataback by runtime systems. you can download and run it for free to see if it can see/recover files, you only have to pay if you use it to recover files.... I've heard of some freeware that supposedly works as well but I can't vouch for any of it as I have not used it personally...