Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hardrives

• Please log in to reply

ruffus

ruffus

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I installed a second hd.It is identicle to the first one,500gb seagate.I can boot to either
one as long as one is not connected to the mother board.They both have the
same os installed on them windows xp pro.When both are connected to mobo
I can not boot to either one.Thanks for any help. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you go about installing the OS on the second drive? where they both in the system when you did? how are the drives jumpered?

ruffus

ruffus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

how did you go about installing the OS on the second drive? where they both in the system when you did? how are the drives jumpered?

No they were not both in the system.I disconnected the power and sata to my original
hd,then connected the additional hd to the mobo,ran seagate utility disk formated
and partitiond new disk.All went fine and installed win xp.According to seagate
the jumpers do not have to be changed as they are sata drives.I can boot up
to the original hd with no problem,and they both appear in "start>my computer.
But cannot access the new hd,thanks again for your input.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
AH...there's the problem....since it's sata..you don't get to control who the master is by cable location or jumper location....

if you boot to the bios can you select which drive is master and have it boot that way?

the way you SHOULD have installed the second os would have been to have had both drives in the computer at the same time...then select the second drive to install XP on..this would have set up a dual boot setup in the original XP disk as well that would have allowed that drive to point to the other drive when you selected it in the boot menu

ruffus

ruffus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

AH...there's the problem....since it's sata..you don't get to control who the master is by cable location or jumper location....

if you boot to the bios can you select which drive is master and have it boot that way?

the way you SHOULD have installed the second os would have been to have had both drives in the computer at the same time...then select the second drive to install XP on..this would have set up a dual boot setup in the original XP disk as well that would have allowed that drive to point to the other drive when you selected it in the boot menu

Thank you sir, as they say "live and learn". I will redo the format/partition
and follow your advice for the second drive.

ruffus

ruffus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Thank you sir, as they say "live and learn". I will redo the format/partition
and follow your advice for the second drive.

Just another thank you,and to let you know it worked fine after following your direction.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cool deal!